1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Those A's you got from grading your work with your own rubric may make your transcript awfully pretty, but nobody's impressed.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The sentence is denotatively vague enough to fit dozens of definitions. Possibly thousands. As are pretty much all sentences in the English language.

But in this case, the situation he describes provides context that solidifies the meaning down to a single possibility, that possibility is sexual assault. There was no consent in the situation he described, only women too powerless to do anything about it so they become passive victims. In Trump's world, the distinction between that and consent is immaterial, but it isn't.

3. RickStain

Well, the only person whose opinion matters to me is impressed. It *is* nicely circular.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

@RickStain was so certain that Trump unambiguously admitted to sexual assault that pages and pages and pages after the tape first started being discussed, he posted that a "better politician" than Trump could "probably weather something like this."

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When your opponent keeps fumbling on its 2-yard-line, you don't need to open up the playbook to win the game.

6. RickStain

*That's* the best you could come up with?

Lots of politicians have weathered sexual assault. We can't go more than a page on this thread without talking about how Bill Clinton did.

Until the word "underage" started being attached to half of these, it was a survivable scandal for a good politician. Trump was already losing when it happened, it didn't cause him to lose.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

My interpretation (not that anyone asked or cares):

In a vaccuum, "they let you do it" can certainly mean someone is giving consent.

In context, when Trump said "they let you do it" when referring to grabbing a woman by her genitals, I believe he means the women don't actively strike his hand away, recoil or scream out in disgust. Because they allow it to happen does not mean they consent. It more likely means they are intimidated by his power and status and don't feel they can voice or act out their dissent without negatively affecting their livelihood.

What Trump bragged about on that bus with Billy Bush was absolutely sexual assault.

LongTimeListener and RickStain like this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm automatically attracted to beautiful women — I just start kissing them, it's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait.

And when you're a star get them shitfaced, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the pussy.

Not sexual assault. #obtusedick

9. Dick Whitman

You didn't think it was sexual assault when you first read it. There's lots on the thread about how he bragged about trying to fuck a married woman. Lots about how he talked disrespectfully about women.

Nothing about sexual assault, until some media outlets began to seize upon that idea.

10. RickStain

Yes, I did. And you know it because you've just went back and looked at the pages, but you don't want to admit that your digging found exactly the opposite of what you wanted.

We almost immediately began talking about whether or not what Clinton was accused of with Jones also counted as sexual assault rather than just sexual harassment.

11. Dick Whitman

How many weathered boasting about sexual assault? That's the relevant question.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm automatically attracted to beautiful women — I just start kissing them, it's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait.

And when you're a star slip them roofies, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the pussy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.