1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know that it didn't. I don't remember. A lot of stuff was going on during the debate. I don't feel like I permanently waived my right to note this development.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Pretty difficult comparison. Debate host and objective political reporter are pretty different jobs with different duties. When Cooper took the leap of logic during the debate it was meant to provoke/solicit a response as to whether Trump agreed with the assessment (which it did) and in the Politico example it is written as an established fact, which in my view is both incorrect and terrible journalism.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not saying you waived your right. I was genuinely curious why it didn't bother you then (or maybe I should say, didn't bother you enough to warrant a mention). You answered the question. It's all good.

Does it bother you now?

4. Dick Whitman

Cooper should not have phrased the question that way.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

To Dick and anyone who agrees with him: Let's leave out the ludicrous parsing of "let" for a moment.

Do you honestly believe forced kissing on a total stranger isn't sexual assault?

Because he unambiguously said he does that.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The determination to scrub this fucking pig clean and deny he said what he clearly said is truly amazing.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One posting that meme shouldn't be saying anything about "truth" at all.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

@RickStain will like what Nancy Pelosi just told Jake Tapper on CNN regarding Trump projecting his own issues -- with stamina, women, and drug use -- onto Hillary Clinton.

9. Dick Whitman

First of all, I reject the premise that he unambiguously said he does that. "They let you do it."

Second, I don't know if it is or not. What state are we in? How does the law read? What behavior is encompassed?

10. MisterCreosote

It doesn't need to be prosecutable to be true.

11. Dick Whitman

"Sexual assault" is generally used as a legal term, and understood that way by readers. It is also ambiguous. Different people understand it to mean different actions. Politico stated unambiguously, as established fact, that Donald Trump unambiguously admitted to something most understand to be a crime. He did not, and the sentence either needs to flatly paraphrase what he actually did say, or else heavily caveat the assertion that he admitted to it. The word "arguably" would have saved it for me.

12. MisterCreosote

What he said meets the textbook definition of "sexual assault" in enough credible sources that it can safely be considered fact that he was bragging about it.

That's without bringing in any of the tons of extemporaneous evidence available supporting the idea that he does sexually assault women as a matter of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.