1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Of all the nonsense I've read this election cycle, the idea that Herself's vote will be suppressed because early-voting hours/locations have been curtailed is right up there. It's ballpark strong-conservative-women/weak-liberal-women territory.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think the hours argument is if you limit it to one spot limiting the hours to a small window means a) lines will be longer and discourage people from sticking around and b) make it so people needing to make an extended drive to the polling place either have to take time off of work or have to leave home early enough on a Saturday to make it.

But the biggest thing the new hours/days suppress is the after church vote.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Are these people we should know? Or just random Facebook missives?

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

False. Early voting sites whacked considerably in 19 counties.

5. doctorquant

"Suppress" is not the word you're looking for.

6. Spartan Squad

Hillary vote totals probably won't be significantly impacted to the point where she'll lose. But it is a disturbing thing that these programs that are popular for minority voters are being suppressed. And let's not pretend that this isn't at least an attempt to curtail votes for Dems even if it remains to be seen if there is a tangable impact.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Out right eliminate it then?

8. doctorquant

Anything other than 24/7-and-a-booth-on-every-corner is just this side of the poll tax.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Can't be. He ran out of those little blue pills.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If you meant me, I keep a frame open with Google News running all the time. That feed picks articles up from all over, so I see things like the Christian Science Monitor, the Globe and Mail, WaPo, NYTimes, LA Times, various overseas papers, the BBC, and many more flowing past. If something is interesting and I click it, I then get half a dozen more on the same subject plus a click for more tab. If I click on the same subject a few times I get an "Are you interested in (whatever)?", and if I say yes, it actively feeds me on that subject. It's very useful.

I'm something of a news junkie.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No. But if you're going to have early voting, make it available to your citizens. Don't cut it back for obviously partisan/racist reasons.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If it isn't, it won't be because they didn't try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.