1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is a difference between what normal politicians do and what Trump does.

Normal politicians lay out facts that are at least arguably true but may create misleading impressions that benefit them.

Trump has a mental illness that causes him to believe that any stray thought becomes true if he says it out loud, no matter how ridiculous.

It really isn't the same thing.

HanSenSE and Ace like this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Trump can't swing his dick in any direction without hitting a media outlet with a robust fact checking apparatus.

My unsaid point was that journalists DO characterize political candidates as liars all the time. Because political candidates lie. All the time.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Some guy I never heard of before on twitter got his hands on the Romney election eve polling memo. He had top guys doing it, and all the assertions and findings proved to be wrong. It's not an exact science, it involves starting with an assumption on who's going to vote and working from there. If assumption is wrong, poll will be wrong. It is a fact verifiable by data that African American early voting turnout is down but Latino turnout is way up. Is that being modeled into polls? I dunno.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Polls assumed decreased AA turnout, per Nate Cohn.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Are there any sane non-fascist GOPers in thrall to Russian interests lurking behind the curtain? They'll get my vote.

Which ones? Weak liberals or strong conservatives?

[/ducking]

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. RickStain

Yes, those are being modeled. For a good look at the process, look at how the Upshot model is handling North Carolina, where it has Clinton winning by 6:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/north-carolina-early-vote-tracker.html?_r=0

The black vote made up 27% in 2012. They project it to be just 21% this time, though it has been 23% so far.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I hear they Live in hellholes, their schools suck, they have a 99.9% unemployment rate,
    Too drunk to vote? ("Well, there goes four years' sobriety! I gotta get to a meeting...")

amraeder likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hillary Clinton left vendors on the hook for $9.5 million when her 2008 campaign ended. This isn't unusual.

Trump's vendors will get paid.

Clinton didn't retire her debt until 2013, and since $11 million of her debt was to herself, donors to her campaign, after it ended, were directly putting money into the pocket of a sitting Secretary of State.

With her campaign now officially suspended, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton is confronting still another challenge: whittling down what is believed to be the largest presidential campaign debt in history.

Besides the $11.4 million of her own money that Mrs. Clinton lent her campaign, she had about $9.5 million in unpaid bills to vendors at the end of April, according to her most recent filing with the Federal Election Commission.

For Clinton, Millions in Debt and Few Options

10. RickStain

Clinton didn't have a long history of stiffing people being her primary business model

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I keep looking at all of the potential paths to a Trump win. All of them feature flipping a hard blue state his way in a week ... Wisconsin, Pennsylvania or Michigan. Even if he sweeps every other swing state, he still needs one of those. Not sure I see it happening.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.