1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This is where she will win. There are a whole lot of people on both sides of the aisle who are going to look at Trump, one election away from the Presidency, and say "WTF? Oh, Hell No!". Sure, you can say the same about Hillary, I know that she is probably more hated by Republicans than even Obama, but at least she seems sane. Trump can try to pivot in the general, but there are so many things that he has said on camera to put into attack ads that will hurt him with the sane vote. Add in that if he pivots very much the Trump voters will feel betrayed. He's already shown that he's got a wet finger in the breeze and will change positions at the drop of a hat (Duke endorsement, "They will obey me"), but if he does it on the wrong issue, with bad timing, or if he misjudges he will hurt himself with his base.

HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She's famous for being married to Bill Clinton.

Absent Bill Clinton, she's never First Lady, Senator from New York, or Secretary of State.

And, if you think the average Mississippi primary voter can articulate a reason for voting for her based on her record as a Senator or Secretary of State, I've got a Trump Steak to sell you

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One thing I respect about Trump is that he's up front with his insults and such. He's not covertly leaking Jeremiah Wright videos behind the scenes, or innocently saying he has "no reason to believe" that Cruz isn't a Christian/American.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I know...I just wanted to slip the unicorn line into the conversation, because it's awesome.

5. Dick Whitman

I think the opposite may be true: The more that people are exposed to him, the more they realize that he actually is sane. He's just a big personality.

Any doubt who wins the "like to have a beer with" test between Hillary and Trump?

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

Trump could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Ave., and his voters won't feel betrayed.

They believe in him. They're willing to believe that he agrees with them, but will say something different to win over other voters.

(Like how gay rights activists new Obama was with them, even as he pretended to be against gay marriage.)

Trump can say anything, and his supporters will justify it.

And, for the vast majority of folks not yet paying attention to the presidential campaign, Trump will come across fine once they start paying attention.

And, the "He's a Nazi," and other over the top criticism of him will fall flat as compared to the guy they will see on TV every night (while Hillary hides from reporters/interviews).

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Screw that. It's a specious argument. I'm not going to be invited for beers with either of them, and frankly I don't find either of them very personable. I want someone who has a clue how government works beyond how to bribe a building inspector.

HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
  8. YankeeFan

He really has no surrogates.

The Clintons have always tried to act above the fray, while sending out surrogates to do their dirty work. Trump is unafraid to make the attack himself.

Will be interesting to see how what goes in the general election.

I'm not even sure how many people will want to attack Trump. He comes back at folks who attack him with such fury, it might not be worth it to many.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't be a dumbass. Clinton doesn't want to chase off Sanders supporters; she wants them to change their minds (somewhat).

Trump supporters for the most part have no minds to change. Clinton ( and Sanders) wants them to either stay home in despair, or maybe shove their heads in the oven.

10. Dick Whitman

Are you doubting that likability doesn't matter in an election because it doesn't happen to matter to you?

11. YankeeFan

Neutral Corner introducing himself to the board as a political moderate/independent is still one of my favorite things.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.