1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good thing he's a billionaire and insusceptible to pressure from special interest groups.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bill wants to boost his own legacy so badly, that he's willing to criticize the Obama years, and undermine his wife's campaign to do it:

3. YankeeFan

Sounds like the Obama family Spring Break trip is going well:

4. YankeeFan

We should have a daily quiz.

Is the following tweet from the Clinton campaign, or a reporter covering it? Its often hard to tell.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tony - you're pretty far to the right, I don't think that's an unfair thing to say. You also seem to be a non-Trumper? Assuming I have that right, how do you handle things if he's the nominee? Vote for him anyway, sit it out?
    Most of my Republican friends, and I have more than you might think, are aghast and have no intention of voting for Trump. They won't vote for Clinton either and most are not willing to vote for some rando third-partier just to say they voted.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Do the Trump campaign and the GOP need a lesson in electoral college math?

Everything I see shows either Democrat beating him fairly soundly.

8. old_tony

More slanted coverage of "global warming" from NBC tonight. In a report on the snowstorm in the northeast that really wasn't that bad, the "reporter" talked about El Nino and an abnormally warm winter, causing snowfall of only 25 inches after 108 inches last year. Failed to mention that Boston's average yearly snowfall is 43 inches, so this year's below normal is 18 inches, while last year's above normal was by 65 inches. I guess last year being so brutally cold and snowy was "weather," but this year is "climate change."

9. three_bags_full

Tony, when I ask this question, I am certainly not trying to insult you, but I'd like to use you -- like Moddy -- as a gauge.

What is your basic understanding of weather in respect to moisture in the atmosphere and its effects?

As an aviator, I have a bit more interest in weather patterns, weather development, clouds, and storms than do most. It's important to me, and I just think it's cool. I generally have a better understanding of -- and interest in -- it than most of my peers.

10. old_tony

I'm very anti-Trump. I still hold out hope for a brokered convention getting my guy Cruz the nomination. If it's Trump, I'm open to being convinced, depending on how much of an effort he makes to reach out to real conservatives. Trump sucking all the oxygen out of the room on the GOP side of the primaries is a huge disappointment because I really thought this year we had a chance to put up a true conservative with either Cruz or Rubio.

I'm a conservative, not a registered Republican. The Tea Party saved the Republican party in 2010 and 2014, but too many of the nuts fell for all the Trump bullshit. The party will survive this, just as it survived and actually thrived despite all the dire predictions that the party was dead after 2008 and 2006. But this is a year the party should be building on the gains of 2010 and 2014. Instead, it has to fend off disaster.

So, to answer your question before I get this post into Ragu territory (Just kidding, Ragu; I actually love your informative posts), I remain open to voting for Trump. He's an unknown that would still be better than the knowns of Hillary or Sanders. I'd much rather be voting for Cruz (and will do so in the primary in two weeks), or Rubio.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. old_tony

My basic understanding is that the climate has changed throughout the history of mankind and will continue to change throughout the history of mankind. I've been around long enough to know that the same groups screaming "Global warming is real!!!" are the same groups that screamed global cooling was going to lead to disaster in the early 1970s. It's notable that the solution to everything with these people is more government control, whether it's warming, cooling, drought or flood. And, even worse, they want to give government control over everything while they admit that these measures won't do a thing to change anything.

And we're supposed to give all these people all this power over our lives because they say their motives are pure? I think not. They still can't say for sure whether increased levels of carbon dioxide have created increased warming or if increased warming (possibly by a just-completed very high cycle of solar activity) is causing increases in carbon dioxide levels.

And it just drives me crazy that every time there's a colder than normal season or year, it's "weather," but every time there's a warmer than normal season or year or month, it's "global warming."

And, as always, great to hear from you and thank you for your service.

12. three_bags_full

You don't have to thank me for my service, man. I always get uncomfortable when, for example, some little old lady at the diner tells me that, because I don't think of it as "service." I think of it as a blessing to have the honor to go to work everyday and support and defend the Constitution. As an added bonus, I get to work with amazing Soldiers from all walks of life.

I certainly understand your stance on the theory/science/whateverwe'recallingit of global warming as a whole, but what about the singular topic of water in the atmosphere? How does water affect the atmosphere and our weather patterns?

Ace, Vombatus, SpeedTchr and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.