1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

-I've seen a lot here about religion generally and Catholicism. For the record, Jewish law lies somewhere in between the extremes. There is much, much disagreement, but all agree that it's required to save the life of the mother, and prohibited generally. There is also consensus that full life does not begin at conception, though what is there at that point might well be worth protecting for its future.

-on the moving target of viability:
    23 Weeks 6 Days

- I was trying to find. proper analogy before, maybe it's the following:
    Vaccinations. Again, bodily autonomy is a core, supreme value shared by all. But when the stakes get high enough, and there are lives at stake you start entertaining the idea of compromising even core principles and regulating or even mandated invasions on

- about the motivations for abortion on the extreme.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/18/magazine/lives-when-one-is-enough.html?_r=0

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That was pretty much the NYT point, as well.

5. YankeeFan

Right. It's not a absurd thought.

It's never been a mainstream pro-life position, but much of that is political/tactical.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Pollitt op-ed in the Times that DW posted was particularly good, I thought.

Abortion opponents answer this question by insisting that the woman is a victim, too — “broken and wounded,” in the words of Penny Nance, the president of Concerned Women for America. The woman is desperate, confused and alone. Someone pushed her into it — her parents, her boyfriend or husband, the “culture of death” that tells her an embryo is just a clump of cells, Planned Parenthood. Yes, somehow, the mere existence of a clinic forces her to enter its doors, even if she has to drive all day to get there, sleep in her car to fulfill a 24-, 48- or 72-hour waiting period, listen to a script full of anti-abortion propaganda and pay a month’s wages for the procedure.

7. YankeeFan

8. Dick Whitman

As you know, I think it's a completely fair question. If it's murder, it should be punishable.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's pretty simple. Anti-abortion folks who are unwilling to penalize people they consider baby murderers have taken an inconsistent position that defies logical explanation. They need to man up.

10. YankeeFan

Oh, it's fair.

But, the underlying assumption is that Conservatives aren't being honest about their true feelings on the issue.

Ruth Marcus, Joy Reid, and Baron Sciciuna are all experts at seeing the contradictions and hidden truths on the right.

It would be interesting to see if they ever looked for the same on the left. I wonder what they might find.

11. Dick Whitman

I would just like to see them attempt to defend the position. Or, hell, define it.

12. YankeeFan

Who's the "them" here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.