1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

HanSenSE, Hokie_pokie, Batman and 3 others like this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think that we would have to. Baron wants an exemption. He wants to defer to the woman's doctor on whether the woman qualifies for the exemption. He just needs to write a sentence that gives that doctor some guidance.

I do not favor a health-of-the-mother exception to late-term abortions, but, if I did, I think this would be a decent back-of-the-napkin:

"Abortions in the third trimester are prohibited except: (1) in the event that the woman is at serious risk of death, as determined and certified by her physician, should she continue to carry the fetus; and/or (2) in the event that the woman's physical and/or mental health are at serious risk of long-term impairment, as determined and certified by her physician, should she continue to carry the fetus that would not likely be present should she elect instead to terminate pregnancy.

Definitions
    "Mental health" refers to a diagnosable mental illness included in the most recent edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM). It does not, however, include short-term 'post-partum' depression.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

July, 2015:

Hillary Clinton Voices Support For $12 Minimum Wage, But Balks At $15
    Her hesitance on $15 may displease progressives — but it will relieve businesses that are getting bowled over by minimum wage campaigns.
    07/30/2015 05:02 pm ET

Hillary Clinton Voices Support For $12 Minimum Wage, But Balks At $15

Today:

NY Gov. Cuomo Signs Bill Gradually Increasing Minimum Wage To $15
    Hillary Clinton Joins Governor At Rally To Celebrate
    April 4, 2016 11:45 AM

NY Gov. Cuomo Signs Bill Gradually Increasing Minimum Wage To $15

4. YankeeFan

Nah.

5. Dick Whitman

She can celebrate the bill as a general move in the right direction even though she doesn't agree with everything about it.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So if you're not one to quiz, then why do you support telling other women what to do with their bodies?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A state minimum wage and a national minimum wage can be viewed differently.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

9. YankeeFan

She agrees with it -- now.

At first, it was pie-in-the-sky Bernie Sanders nonsense, as opposed to her "progressive who gets things done" persona.

But, Bernie was right, and she's trying to claim credit.

And, the Bernie Boys are not amused.

10. Dick Whitman

No one seems to understand this. I frequently see stories shared on my Facebook feed about how a $15 minimum wage worked in some city or another, the implication, of course, being ...

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Did you read the articles?

From the first one:
    “I think it’s going to be important that we set a national minimum, but then we get out of the way of cities and states that believe that they can and should go higher,” she said.

Also:
    Clinton has said previously that a $15 minimum wage, which is fast becoming a reality in pricy cities like Seattle and Los Angeles, may not make sense for less dense areas with lower costs of living. She said she supported the recent move by the wage board of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) to recommend a $15 minimum wage for fast-food workers in that state. But she has also said such a level may not be appropriate nationally.

[​IMG]

Riptide, outofplace and Dick Whitman like this.
  12. YankeeFan

I'm perfectly happy to draw a line, and defend it.

If you were set up as the head of the late term abortion exemption panel, I don't think you'd turn anyone down. You don't believe a second doctor/opinion is necessary. You don't think a woman and doctor's decision should be questioned. So, if a woman is concerned about her emotional health, and her doctor agreed with her, you'd rubber stamp any application for an exemption.

Of course, you don't think it should have to go to a panel. The woman and the doctor should decide. And, their decision shouldn't be questioned. Which means there is no standard to any mental health/illness requirement.

Which means late term abortion bans are meaningless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.