1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Necessary, but not sufficient.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There you go!

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sure. Trump's not been in politics, so he hasn't had regular briefings on big policy issues. He's not on committees that question generals and cabinet officials. So, his knowledge of some subjects is not especially deep.

I think he should have spent significant time in the last nine months meeting with economists, trade reps, generals, etc.

He hasn't. And, it's a problem.

(Though, I also don't know what generals advise Hillary. Her top aide is fucking Huma Abedin.)

I'm still unsure why Hillary has trouble enunciating a clear position on issues -- including what should be really simple issues -- like gay marriage, abortion, trade policy, military intervention, etc.

Trump was mocked for being unprepared for an abortion question.

Hillary got tripped up on an abortion question three days later. Hillary got flummoxed by a gay marriage question in an NPR interview. Hillary's been for and against trade deals.

Can anyone really tell me what Hillary stands for? What would a Hillary Clinton Doctrine look like?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Because if someone asks Hillary to explain the rationale behind it, she'll say more than "Just trust me, it's gonna be GREAT!!!! And you're a shithead for questioning me!"

No matter how much people dislike Hillary, there is simply no comparison for Trump. He is about to become the worst major-party presidential candidate in U.S. history. Period.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Then I feel for you. You're a legalist and a moralist who's on the wrong side of America

The worst reason to be for Cruz - the very worst - is the government shutdown tactics. It's equivalent of stopping the presses at a newspaper - or threatening constantly to do so - because the editorial section didn't see it your way.

In any other industry other than celebrity politics - which is really all Cruz is - he'd be drummed out in weeks. You can't get anything done with the guy. His party is in power of the entire Congress and he's trying to pull stunts.

And the funny thing is - you were out-angered! Cruz only thought he staked out the true outsider position. And then Trump comes along and is so much an outsider that he wasn't even a Republican for years!

HanSenSE and Riptide like this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump's big picture message has been consistent for over 25 years:

Perched now atop Republican polls and delegate counts, Trump, 69, is the same candidate who New Hampshire furniture craftsman Mike Dunbar envisioned back in 1987 when he started a Draft Trump effort and succeeded in getting the celebrity mogul to speak at a Rotary Club lunch in the critical primary state.

The Trump who spoke extemporaneously to the Rotarians in 1987 sounded much as he does now, Dunbar recalls. News accounts from the time say Trump complained America was getting “pushed around” by other countries and needed a “tough, smart cookie” in the White House.

Trump’s October 1987 speech in New Hampshire came shortly after he bought full-page ads in The New York Times and other newspapers lamenting that “The world is laughing at America’s politicians.”

“People are tired of seeing the United States ripped off,” he told Oprah Winfrey in 1988.

“The major parties have lost their way,” Trump wrote in a 1999 Wall Street Journal op-ed as he again flirted with a presidential run, this time with the Reform Party. He vowed to “cut better deals with our world trading partners … If President Trump does the negotiating, we’ll get a better deal for American workers and their families, and our economy will not be as vulnerable to global pressures as it is today.”

Donald Trump has called for dealmaker to fix U.S. since 1980s

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Who brought up Harry Reid?

doctorquant likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, he's been an ignorant, blowhard jerkoff for almost 30 straight years.

Admirable.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, the VERY worst reason to vote for Cruz is that his daddy says he is the Chosen One who has been anointed to lead America through the final days of Armageddon.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

We don't need an apprentice in the White House

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Why exactly do Sanders and Hillary need to debate, yet again? What is to be gained by all these debates? They all are to the point where they say the same shit on message over and over and over and over. Hell, at least make it the Republicans, I mean, that is at least entertaining.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

America was getting "pushed around" when Jesus H. Reagan was in the White House?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.