1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

All the tough talk on Hilary Clinton is fine. She's earned her share of criticism. She's plenty flawed.

But some of these posts remind me of the tough-guy phony-pony sports columnists who'd inveigh "does Tom Coughlin even know HOW to manage the clock? Not based on that 27-21 loss to the Cowboys! Arrgh!"

Hilary Clinton, by a wide, long margin, is perfectly competent for the job of president.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

All this tells me is that he's had 30 years to fully develop and articulate his views when asked to defend or explain them, and still hasn't done so.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're an informed voter. Do you think you could summarize Hillary Clinton's world view?

4. YankeeFan

What does Hillary stand for?

This is a woman who ran to the right of Obama on gun issues in 2008.

She tried to one up Trump on his, "Make America Great Again," slogan, with "Make America Whole Again."

She's flip flopped on big issues, all conveniently in ways that match changing attitudes:

Everybody agrees that changing facts can justify a change in one’s view. But Clinton’s insistence that learning about “new” or “better” information propels her reassessments prompts this question: What was the new information?

To my knowledge, no new “information” about gay marriage emerged from the day she endorsed civil unions for same-sex couples to the day she demanded the right to same-sex marriage. The immigration, gun control and mass-incarceration issues have been similarly unrippled by shocking new findings. Likewise, the information required to make a stand against the Iraq War was not hidden. Other senators found it and took that position! Perhaps the anti-war information escaped Clinton’s notice—in which case, bad on her—or perhaps she viewed it and decided not to act on it—in which case, double-bad on her. And who among us had a better vantage from which to assemble an encyclopedic view on the Trans-Pacific Partnership than Clinton? She praised it endlessly while secretary of state, but pulled a moonshiner’s turn last week to skedaddle away from it.

The Hole in Hillary’s Flip-Flop Excuse

5. Dick Whitman

You understand that I'm not voting for her, right?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"I alone can solve."

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

I think, YF, that one place where we may end up talking past each other on these matters is that you put considerable weight on a candidate's consistency through the years. I don't. I care much more about where the candidate stands now.

8. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

It’s not even 1pm and you already have a total of 44 posts today. Incredible.

9. doctorquant

If a candidate has demonstrated a marked inconsistency over the years, why would you care where that candidate "stands" at all?

10. Dick Whitman

I'm not saying that it's not a factor at all. The relative weights YF and I assign to consistency over time are just different. This isn't just a Hillary thing. I've been quite outspoken here about the gay marriage support purity test that people like Rob Portman have been run through.

11. doctorquant

Kinda sounds like Joseph P. Kennedy ... although, to be fair, he was rather broad-brushed ... so long as it was his "seed" all was good.

12. YankeeFan

Sure. I get folks switching on an issue like gay marriage. Lots of us have.

Hillary's changed positions on nearly everything. It suggests no core values.

She'll say anything to get elected.

Hell, Donald Trump has spoken positively of Planned Parenthood while running for a Republican presidential nomination. Hillary would never do something similar.

Hillary also tries to have it both ways n issues all the time, and isn't called on it. So, she can be against late term abortions, but only if there are exemptions that make her opposition meaningless. She can be for trade deals, as long as they include provisions that make the deal impossible to execute.

She's full of shit, and we collectively pretend it doesn't stink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.