1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Congrats on your most predicable post ever.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've been very disappointed in him ever since he accepted that Nobel Prize, which I firmly believe he should have declined and told them to look at his record over the next 4 to 8 years and see if anything was worthy of that award. That, to me, was a clear signal as to who he is and what is most important to him. I also thought the prize was an attempt by foreigners to influence the future direction of the United States - another reason why it should have been turned down.

Anyway, he's in coast mode now - hoping to get to 20 JAN 2017 without a major terrorist event and without the markets collapsing. Golf and statues and memoirs are on the horizon!

old_tony likes this.
  3. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

You had me until you quoted former conservative Andrew Sullivan. It was not long ago that he was warning us that Al Gore would be a bad President.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

JH, you have to remember that a lot of what I do here is an act and an online persona meant to be less serious and fun-oriented. I am sure that is true for a lot of us posters.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Liberals have become the guy who beat the shit out of his first wife but can't help but remember her fondly now because he can't believe how much of a bitch No. 2 turned out to be.

old_tony likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The group that should pay more taxes is pretty clearly determined in America. It's called, "those other people."

old_tony and doctorquant like this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well said.
    This is exactly why I eagerly voted for Bush in 2000. He seemed to want to be president for the right reasons. The last three election cycles (including this one), that's been sorely lacking in almost every candidate. Romney had some of it, but McCain wanted it as a lifetime achievement award. Obama also has a touch of it, but he's also been too nearsighted at times. He's been too interested in serving the half of the country that voted for him at the expense of what would be best for the country as a whole.
    Trump and Hillary, I'm convinced, are both in it for selfish reasons. It's an ego trip for both of them. That's a character flaw for a president, as much as it is a requirement of the job.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I can't tell if this is a typo or more of Dick dropping a hint that he's screwing with us. I know shouldn't think too hard about it but my head hurts.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I hated Bush for allowing Cheney to set foot in the White House. He did that with his eyes wide open and wasn't as naive as people suggest as to Cheney's agenda.

Interesting question. I view it more as a we-need-revenue issue. I'm not a punish-the-rich type, which is among the reasons Bernie drives me nuts, and my issues aren't generally with the income tax brackets (as much as they could stand a little work), but I do believe progressive improvements can be made by such things as taxing capital gains like ordinary income.

Bill Gates calls for higher capital gains taxes

For the 99 percent of taxpayers making less than $500,000, salaries and wages accounted for 75 percent of their adjusted gross income for 2012, according to the latest period available from Internal Revenue Service returns.

Yet for those making $10 million or more, salaries and wages only account for around 15 percent of their income, while capital gains accounted for about half of their earnings.

I think this is why ordinary people focus their anger so much on the 1 pct., and with some justification. The wealthiest of the wealthy do a very good job at shielding that wealth from taxation and we can and should do a better job of ensuring they pay a more equitable share.

Additionally, I also don't understand why FICA is capped as low as it is. There are other ideas, like a transaction tax, that also interest me as more progressive ways to raise revenue.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Forget it, he's trolling."

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Better yet, how about a Dick-exclusive thread, so we don't have to have every other thread hijacked by one narcissist pontificating about another?

BDC99 likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You lost me at the part where you didn't point out that he used 9/11 as a despicable excuse to avenge Saddam's attempt on his father's life; millions of lives have been ruined as a result. That alone disqualifies him from receiving any warm fuzzies for eternity.

BDC99, Stoney and Baron Scicluna like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.