1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But Dems aren't "bothered" by this:

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm troubled by the thought that somehow jobs are going to just materialize in Appalachia and that nobody should be expected to relocate. Is that realistic? If it happens, fine, and I applaud efforts to find and grow in areas where the available skills meet the needs of non-geographic industries, but we should also be preparing folks to go where work actually exists, too.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

BDC99, Jake_Taylor and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

THey won't relocate to the jobs that are currently being taken by the illegal immigrant

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They are one of the weirder couple in public life. How do you maintain a 20+ year marriage, which appears to be a solid loving family life, with the fact that each spouse has zero respect for the values and politically philosophy of the other? I understand that the public performances are a show, but professionally they work exclusively for opposite sides of the street. Less Bridgette loves Bernie and more Sinead O'Connor and Ted Nugent

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because maybe, just maybe, politics is what they do during the day?

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's still behaviorally and emotionally bizarre.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think you can largely agree on values, and how you want to raise a family, while disagreeing on government's role in such things.

Hokie_pokie and dixiehack like this.
  10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Unlike yer boy Sunshine, who thinks nuance is for fucking pussies, many "liberals" are bothered a great deal by the way this administration has handled the media and gone after whistleblowers. That Rhodes piece makes me puke, Rhodes is an asshole, and he (and that piece) represents everything that's fucking infuriating about Washington. I think if I were Marty Baron or Dean Baquet, I'd stick one (literally one) reporter in the White House press briefing bullshit, and tell the rest of my reporters their asses are responsible for outside the Beltway circle jerk. Everyone made fun of David Brooks for his confession that he realized he needs to start writing about real America, but at least there is some realization there. At least he's vowing to go to places like Ohio or West Virginia or Indiana in something other than an election year. There are reporters who do great work on actually issues already (Alec Macgillis of Pro Publica and Eli Saslow of the Post are two that immediately come to mind; they never write about the Beltway wankfest) but they never end up on any "most influential DC reporters!" lists because the people who put together those lists are too busy sipping $16 martinis at the Hay Adams.

I have plenty of criticisms of this administration. The drone shit, which he seems to believe is a necessary evil, is pretty awful. The James Risen stuff was bullshit. The gay marriage waffling/evolution was no profile in courage. All in all, I think he's been a pretty good president who has impressed me at times and disappointed me occasionally. It's actually ok to see things in a nuanced way, instead of constantly trying to score semantic message board points. It's worth reading, nearly 8 years later, Pierce's "The Cynic and Senator Obama" piece in Esquire where he argued (in a pretty prescient way) that all the sunshine and rainbows and purple America stuff was going to last about 10 minutes, and that he'd better be ready for a goddamn trench war. He was exactly right. And you know what? I could be an idiot and say "President Obama has not lived up to the lofty promises of Candidate Obama" or I could look at reality and say "I'm pretty please, overall, with how he's adapted to the fight."

Meanwhile, a racist charlatan is burning your party to the ground and the next critical thing you post about him will be the first. Better to keep playing defense and warning us about Hillary Clinton's presidency opening the door to the Hellmouth, even though I have to believe holding your nose and reluctantly doing this on behalf of Trump, as a one time New Yorker who ought to know better than most what a phony joke he is, makes you want to puke.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

People should be allowed to live with and fuck whoever/whatever they want! This is America! Holy shit, how could you stand to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't share your politics? #liberalism

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Nuance, when it's actually that, is fine. Whining is for pussies.

old_tony likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.