1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No reason for Bernie to quit. Making an electability argument to win the super delegates is a legitimate tactic.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It is a legitimate strategy. It is also a doomed one.

3. YankeeFan

Sure. But the great/terrible thing about the super delegates, is that they don't vote until the convention, so Hillary can't wrap up the nomination until then.

Bernie's folks are going to go into the convention in a fighting mood.

After all the talk of a brokered GOP convention, the real shit show, including a potential for violence, will be on the Dem side.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Your love affair with Bernie is ridiculous. For months, he's railed against superdelegates. For years, you've railed against Hillary rigging the system. Your whole love affair with Sanders has to do with your fantasy that he's the only principled Democrat around. This undermines that. It's a legitimate strategy for someone who hasn't built his campaign around fighting this very type of maneuvering. But he's reached Level Trump with his ardent supporters, i.e. that stage where he can metaphorically shout "nigger" on stage and not lose support.

5. Dick Whitman

It is also possible that his doomed courting of superdelegates is some form of Boom 70-esque performance art and he's trolling the Party. In fact, it's very possible that's the case. In which case I tip my cap.

6. YankeeFan

Barbara Boxer's appearance was a disaster.

And now, she's claiming she feared for her safety:

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Bernie's a blithering dingbat ...

8. YankeeFan

You're being silly Dick.

You still have have to deal with the system in place, even if you don't like it.

What, Bernie should not fight for super delegates?

Trump's campaign shouldn't get more professional as we enter the general election?

The point is to win.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Boxer is one of those superdelegates that Sanders is going to make a case to any day now.

10. Dick Whitman

No, he shouldn't. Of course he shouldn't. A significant plank in his message was that superdelegates are an unprincipled way to decide elections. He's fighting to give the party back to "the people." Well, the people have spoken. It's a bad look. But that's why I think it's just a big "fuck you" to Hillary and the DNC. He doesn't really want to convince superdelegates. He knows he's going to lose. He's being a dick, I think. "You guys wanted superdelegates? Fine. I'll pitch superdelegates until I'm fucking mathematically eliminated." And I think I'm OK with that, if that's what he's doing, although he risks very seriously throwing the election to Trump. Not that he gives a shit.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's that Machiavellian, Dick. I think he's in the punch-drunk stage of losing. Sanders is Joe Frazier with his eyes swollen shut, only without any Eddie Futch to keep him from answering the ball for the 15th round.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Sanders caught the tiger by the tail. To concede now would be a betrayal of all the passion he’s inspired from his supporters. He stood up to the establishment, only to get out of the way of Hillary's "coronation." But I can't imagine he wants his legacy to be President Trump. He has to wind things down in a very public manner with some modicum of grace, a contingency I doubt he planned for or even considered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.