1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tucker Carlson...how in the heck did this guy happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

not journalists / journalism

discuss

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Oh. Must have missed that comment. Intentionally.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Media should not have sides.

Media with sides is what divides this country and is made for idiots.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Journalists do not takes sides. End of discussion.

If you are fucking up over and over, it might seem like there is a bias, but that’s your person fucking up.

HanSenSE and lakefront like this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

90 percent of bias is not openly rooting for Candidate X or trashing Candidate Y.

It's what stories you choose to run ("Navalny's doctor says he was poisoned"). And choose to ignore ("Hospital says no poison found in Navalny"). And choose to investigate. And choose not to investigate. It's concentrating on a pandemic's "fatality rate" . . . until the fatality rate starts dropping and you switch to "cases." And what flattering photo you choose to run. And what unflattering photo you choose to run of the other guy. It's in the words you use in stories and headlines ("regime" instead of "government", "puppet" instead of "ally", "secret police" instead of "intelligence organization," "dominate" instead of "influence," "forced laborers" instead of "prisoners" (aren't our prisoners forced to work?).

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A lot of objective journalists take sides. Check Twitter.

Moreover, side taking is acceptable in an era of #resistancejournalism, which many journalists presume exists and we’re in.

7. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Trump and all that he has brought are objectively terrible. Pointing this out doesn't necessarily mean a reporter or outlet is "picking a side."

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Trump isn’t the only thing on which a side has been picked. But it is what it is.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

yes, the "liberal" media monolith that helped make Donald Trump president

10. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

That was mostly aimed at Frederick's assertion that "most of the media is anti Trump all the time" is proof of bias. Coverage of Trump is negative because Trump sucks.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    HanSenSE, Patchen and Smallpotatoes like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you "take a side" then you are not objective. By definition.

From your posts on here, I am certain that your problem is that you tend to read a "side" of your making into objectively unambiguous things. And then flatly state it over and over again, even when others question it. When pushed on your self-created chararacterizations and narratives, you resort to all kinds of logical fallacies, such as attacking a source rather than the substance of what the source said, or doing what you think are self-fulfilling circular statements such as, "So the problem isn’t the biased thing I pointed out, it's my criticism of it." Even though the characterization of bias is something you keep stating as fact without any basis other than your characterization.

When you are creating hashtagged things and repeating conspiracy-sounding meme-ish terms like "resistance journalism," chances are you are not a person who is going to be able to reasonably assess the objectivity of something.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The resistance journalism line comes from Ben Smith's piece.

Is Ronan Farrow Too Good to Be True?

The rest of your post, I dunno what to do with. The defund/restart the police stuff that really seemed to rankle you was backed up with facts and articles.

If you're suggesting that I'm not perfect in my thinking, well, of course that's true. Duly noted. It's true of anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.