1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tucker Carlson...how in the heck did this guy happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They’re not going to reveal anything about where he lives, and never were. Carlson is trying to distract his fans from whatever it is that the NYT actually will be reporting about him.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I can't gauge the NYT's intent, especially when I don't know (and don't care) where he lives. If he lives in a very specific gated community, where only, say, 100 different families live, and the NYT was going to report that, it's something more than saying he lives in Virginia.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Unless the NYT is going to report (hypothetically, obv) that he’s claiming to live and possibly even vote in one place (say, a place with high taxes) while actually living and possibly even voting in another place entirely (say, a place where taxes are significantly lower).

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again I don’t know what the NYT’s intent is. I know the NYT is compromised to the point where, even if it wanted to write an objective, evenhanded profile of Carlson*, it probably can’t without an editor or writer getting in serious, public Twitter trouble from colleagues and thus facing job cancellation prospects.

*that’s not to say he deserves one.

Songbird likes this.
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Could anyone write an objective, evenhanded profile of Tucker Carlson?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

@Fredrick could

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I can’t remember seeing an image of Carlson in which he was not wearing a suit.*

Edited to clarify:
    *Oops, an unfortunate Google search just made me aware of the “Dancing with the Stars” fiasco.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Anyone could. Some people are objectively bad.

But objective means objective. If the guy is giving 100,000 per year to underprivileged youth and can prove that, it probably gets mentioned.

What makes Carlson tough is his idea of objective likely isn’t the classic idea.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What's weird, to me, is that just earlier this year Tucker Carlson let the world know he had a vacation home in Maine, that he was building a studio there so he could broadcast his show and also talking to local media about how much he liked living there and that he was going to spend more time in Maine.
    There's also stories about how he used the public library in Bryant Pond, Maine as a studio.
    Now, suddenly and with a sex scandal looming, he decides that his and his family's privacy is paramount.

2muchcoffeeman and lakefront like this.
  10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Why do you keep saying that you don't know where he lives. What does it matter?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Wait.

If I write a profile of Tucker Carlson, I have to be objective.

But Tucker Carlson - thanks to some subtlety of argumentation and libertarian voodoo - only has to be "objective."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If Tucker Carlson has a place at Trump Tower - and its comped - is that not a story? If he lives in a whites only development (or co-op that has never had a non-white resident) is that not a story?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.