1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turtleboy arrested

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What happens to Turtleboy when he gets cold this winter?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a “Where Are They Now?” update on Claude Lemieux.

Liut, garrow, Woody Long and 2 others like this.
  3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I just assumed this was a follow up on this kid:

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Here’s another report.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2023/...iolent-profane-language-toward-witnesses.html

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Yeah OK if you’re organizing rolling rallies by people’s home you’re not a journalist

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This case has fascinated me since TB started his "reporting," because I'm in and out of Canton a bit. The following is a way-too-long summary of this case, you'll probably fall asleep after the first paragraph.

• Prosecution's case: Boston cop was dropped off for a party at a friend's house by his girlfriend. Girlfriend then drunkenly ran over him, left the scene without noticing/caring and she's the reason he's dead. She didn't realize what she did until a friend of folks hosting the party called her and told her, after they found the guy outside hours after she said she dropped him off.
    • Girlfriend, who is a college professor: Everyone is setting me up — the DA, the guy who owns the house who's connected with the local police department (perhaps former cop), that guy is now a selectman, the state trooper who went to the scene knows the guys in the house, the son or the nephew of the guy who owns the house is a hothead, the family conveniently had their dog disappear and ripped the carpet out of their basement right after this guy's death, the Ring footage from the home across the street — where the assistant fire chief lives — mysteriously is missing. Also the town manager is the former police chief.
    There are a lot of loose strands there, but to me something smells. The coincidences, individually, could be explained away. When there's a mountain of them...

"Turtleboy" is a Boston area teacher-turned-blogger whose previous contributions to society are stories about welfare recipients scamming the government and folks rigging the system, as well as such terms as "crotch fruit." Think of Howie Carr without Howie's thin veneer of professionalism. He claims he's getting canceled all the time. He's had a few Twitter accounts shut down, I can't remember why.

(Aside: Why does an adult call themselves fucking "Turtleboy"? I'd love to know.)

He published an "investigation" into the case early in the spring that was clearly stuff spoonfed to him by defense attorneys. The defendant has the means, so she's opening up the checkbook and paying her attorneys to be attack dogs.

Since then Turtleboy has been harassing folks involved in the case. He traveled more than an hour away to a high school lacrosse match to "interview" a friend of the guy who owns the home where the party happened. This was his "scoop." He was told, politely, to leave. He's gotten so much buzz from his "investigation" that he's regularly posting stuff about the case, even if it's trivial. (Since he's a "victim" of cancel culture, he uses the NPR model to solicit for donations.) He organized a rally outside the Town Hall demanding "justice" for the defendant. He also posted this tweet, which I'm sure did not endear himself to the DA or State Police.

Several weeks ago the DA took the extremely rare step of making a statement and, without mentioning Turtleboy, telling everyone that the narratives Turtleboy was floating were BS and that Turtleboy was harassing witnesses. I get trying to shore up your case, but that is the first time I've heard a DA attack a blogger so directly. It's not a good look, and it adds to the something-smells-here factor.

Turtleboy kept writing and spouting off on Twitter, so a couple weeks ago he was picked up and charged with eight counts of intimidating a witness and some other stuff.

Turns out Turtleboy was being fed info from a police dispatcher about where these folks lived. Dispatcher is now suspended.

Life really is stranger than fiction.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
    JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So, the girlfriend’s story is that she drops her boyfriend off to continue drinking, she falls asleep on his couch after clearly having too many and then freaks out at like 5 am when he’s not home? In a normal world, she’d text him, figure he’s passed out on a floor or couch and go back to sleep.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Longform magazine story ...
    The Karen Read Canton Case: The Killing That Tore a Town Apart

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This isn’t just Turtleboy. It’s Doctor Turtleboy.

sgreenwell and garrow like this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had read that. The dead boyfriend was with her at 2 bars and went late at night to a 3rd place to have more to drink. If you believe her side of the story, why would she have gotten up in such a panic pre-dawn that he wasn’t home a few hours later that she started calling people, especially as she had been his driver and he had no way home.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

MISTER Turtleboy

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bitch set me up!

Draft saved Draft deleted