1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

That's more than hyperbolic.

If Kennedy wrote an opinion upholding and using that as his limiting principle and declaring health insurance a unique market, where would you find fault with his logic?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not hyperbolic at all.

That argument attempts to define "activity" as "inactivity that has a different effect than activity." From there, there is literally nothing you can give the government the power to do under the commerce clause.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. suggested that the government might require Americans to buy cellphones to be ready for emergencies. And Justice Antonin Scalia asked if the government might require Americans to buy broccoli or automobiles.

"If the government can do this, what else can it ... do?” Scalia asked.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow...

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Scalia is just being a good Republican.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Those are common questions during oral arguments. They're looking for a limiting principle.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-27/some-justices-question-health-law-s-constitutionality

What impact, if any, would this being ruled unconstitutional have on November's election?

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I don't think this came out how you intended it.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I already subsidize cell phones and broccoli and automobiles with my tax dollars.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If insurers respond by dropping everyone who's been covered, refusing to cover the sick, and finding all sort of reasons to deny already-paid-for coverage to those who get sick, then it becomes an electoral issue.

And/or, more people are moved to go to the polls and give to Democratic candidates because they feel the Supreme Court (at least the Republican wing) is an out-of-control group of activist judges, and that a re-elected Obama is needed to ensure that if one of these guys kicks while in office, the swing vote can go the other way. (The same might apply to Republicans.)

Whatever happens, it won't be pretty.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's missing an "n't", but I the meaning got through despite my mistake.

The important part is the assertion that the argument being made tries to define "inactivity that has an effect" as "activity."

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I think the more accurate summation would be that inactivity, in the case of insurance, causes economic activity.

Is it not possible that insurance is a unique industry in that regard?

Draft saved Draft deleted