1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

But is the cost greater than the amount they'll have paid in insurance premiums their entire life?

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I'd be hard pressed to think of a question more beside the point, but the answer is it would depend on the person.

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

The latest Medicare data I can find shows that the last six months of the average patients' life -- unadjusted, here, so FWIW -- cost $40,000 in 2007 -- and that number has likely gone, much, much higher since then.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't over $60K.

The median income in the United States in 2007 was $31,111.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That is the point. The concept is that everyone needs it, so you're just paying for it in advance. Rick's point is that most people pay far more for the insurance than they will ever get back in benefits for their health care.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

The concept is not that you're paying for it in advance.

The concept is that if you choose to go without insurance, everyone who has insurance bears the cost of the risk you are taking, and since the government ultimately bears that cost, they're within their rights to regulate the market by forcing everyone to carry some sort of baseline coverage.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just read the transcript from today, and based on the grilling and the answers, I think this is going to go down 5-4 based on the commerce clause--or the fact that mandating something and then calling it commerce can give Congress the power to force people to do anything. Roberts uses the term, "all bets are off" several times.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The government chose to bear that cost. It doesn't get to claim more sweeping powers because of that choice.

8. RickStain

My impression is the opposite: Upheld 5-4 with Kennedy the swing vote, with a very narrow decision that tries to do the Bush v. Gore "This decision only applies to this and nothing else in the future" mealy-mouthiness.

Either way, I'm taking my "told you so" to everyone who said this was a Constitutionally easy case.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I think that's a fair read off the oral arguments -- but the oral arguments only.

The things to watch are how does Scalia get around his previous opinion if he doesn't vote to uphold, and how much of a motivation Roberts has to be in the majority.

10. RickStain

What kind of average are we talking about here? Median? Mean? Mode?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Kennedy was kind of skeptical.

His first question -- and he repeated it -- was "Can Congress create commerce in order to regulate it?"

He didn't quite wear his vote on his sleeve, but he did say he was skeptical, and then said, "Assume for the moment that this is unprecedented, this is a step beyond what our cases have allowed, the affirmative duty to act to go into commerce. If that is so, do you not have a heavy burden of justification?"

He said that what they were asking for changes the "relation of the individual to the government in a "unique way" and then suggested that they had a "heavy burden of justification to show authorization under the Constitution."

Now, that might be a set up to then say that they provided the justification. But he was pretty hard and the answers -- with Scalia's questions peppered in -- weren't sounding very convincing.

12. RickStain

My impression was just what you said: He was trying to draw out a justification, because in the end that's where he's going to fall.

Draft saved Draft deleted