1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Read the transcript. That was not the back and forth. "Assume" wasn't a hypothetical. He was stating it as such. As were his other questions, which started flatly with him stating that Congress wants to create commerce to regulate it under the commerce clause. Nothing tips his hand. You are correct. But his continuation of that question was, "when you are changing the relation of the individual to the government in this, what we can stipulate is, I think, a unique way, do you not have a heavy burden of justification to show authorization under the Constitution?"

He was putting the onus on the SG to explain why they should ascribe something new to the Constitution.

The only question remaining is if he was outright saying that it is unconstitutional, or if in the glorious tradition of the last 90 years of the Supreme Court, he was looking for the absurd linguistics with which he can add something to the Constitution that isn't actually in there.

Edit: Again, I don't know what they will do. They could do anything after that. But I think this thing stretches things too far, even for them, as evidenced by Roberts saying several times, "all bets are off," about the ability this would give Congress to force people to do anything it wants.

2. There may be some individual liberty concerns with a single-payer plan.

Every Constitutional analysis for federal law goes this way: 1. Does Congress have the power? 2. Are there independent constitutional limits that would prohibit Congress from doing this?

The debate in the Supreme Court today was all about the first question, not the second.

3. I did read it, and I still think that Kennedy is asking for an argument in the alternative. I was trying to differentiate that reading from what you said:

"He stated flatly that Congress had imposed an 'affirmative duty' to act to go into commerce with a private entity, and that it is 'unprecedented.'"

Both "affirmative duty" and "unprecedented" were preceded with "assume." I don't think Kennedy "said flatly" that this is actually unprecedented or an affirmative duty. He asked for a justification IF the Court decides this meets those two descriptions.

I'm only pointing this out because I can see a way that Kennedy upholds the law as being within precedent (Wickard, Raich, etc.).

4. Bill of Rights and individual liberty issues. Freedom of Speech, religion, association, press, etc. concerns. Due Process. Fundamental right to teach your children as you like, right to be free to purchase contraceptives/abortion in the early stages of pregnancy/reject medical care, etc.

EDIT: As an example: The federal Gun-Free Zones Act failed Question 1. Congress didn't have the power to enact the law because it wasn't regulating commerce, and the cumulative effects of violence in schools was not seen as being necessary to the regulation of the national economy. However, it would have passed Question 2. It didn't threaten any independent limitation because localities could have enacted the law. Things that fail Question 2 are illegal both for the federal government and for the states.*

Meanwhile, the federal government certainly had the power to enact McCain-Feingold. It was regulating federal elections, and the donations could be seen as part of the economy. Thus, Congress had the power to enact the regulations. Question 1 was satisfied. However, the independent limits of the First Amendment prevented Congress from enacting all of the provisions in the campaign reform legislation. So it failed Question 2.

*This assumes that the limit in the Bill of Rights has been Incorporated to apply to the states. Obviously, this is not the case for all rights, but it's generally true.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I see where you're coming from now Rick. In that case, to me single payer is the way to go. Of course that would never fly with the Republicans and their insurance company executive pals.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Cool.

It's not that I'm opposed to the idea of the government stepping into the health-care market and regulating the living hell out of it.

I just think this specific bill was Obama's attempt to score political points by being able to prove he could pass a massive health-care bill.

So he started out with Newt Gingrich's plan, which he thought he could get bipartisan support for. Then he just made it worse and worse trying to get more conservative support, and the final result is something completely unpalatable, not because of what it intends to do, but because of all the unintended side effects.

7. I'm speaking hypothetically. However, we can talk not just about single-payer but also about the ACA. The Supreme Court almost certainly will not address issues that haven't been briefed. But there could be strong as-applied challenges once the coverage minimums are enacted under the First Amendment, the RFRA, etc.

Now, let's assume that the government wins this case this week. Commerce Clause applies, and Congress can force you into the market. Troubles aren't yet over. If the Dept. of HHS forces you to buy a healthcare plan under their accreditation and then refuses to accredit plans unless they include morning-after pill coverage, for example, someone could challenge that requirement. The government would be literally (even though indirectly) forcing you to buy morning-after pill insurance. That's probably going to violate the First Amendment, and almost certainly would violate the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Poor Mr Verrilli sounded like a guy in a row boat without paddles. His head must be spinning tonight.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

When I review Justice Scalia's line of questioning, it seems likely that he'll vote against the health care plan.

When I review Justice Ginsburg's line of questioning, it seems likely that she will vote to uphold the health care plan.

But, when I review Justice Thomas' line of questioning, it seems likely that he won't vote.

10. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Many have called on Thomas to not vote as his wife is a lobbyist who has worked against ACA with a Tea Party group.

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

They hedged a little.

It wouldn't shock me to see a Scalia concurrence to a decision to uphold that basically reads... It's a tax.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a mealy-mouthed Roberts concurrence, either.

Lot of variables.

Regarding Thomas, he doesn't ask questions in oral arguments.

Which should be a reminder to their importance.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Some of the reporting I've seen on today's questioning is disappointing.

Isn't it a justice's job (Clarence "Mute" Thomas excepted) to ask pointed questions about the case in front of them? No matter which way they intend to rule on it?

Given that, to see several stories surmising/guessing on how SCOTUS will rule one way or another based solely on the questioning seems pretty irresponsible.

To extrapolate a possible decision based on the justice's questions is an extrapolation too far, no matter which way they ultimately rule on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted