1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

The power to wage war without justification is pretty damn dangerous, maybe the ultimate danger.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The right not to act, and the right not to be under the influence of laws that the government hasn't been granted power to act.

That one is written into the Constitution.

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Wait, what?

There is no right not to act in the Constitution.

The second part is word salad.

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Plenty of things in American political life are not in the Constitution yet are never challenged on that point such as:

The Air Force
    Congressional Districts
    The Electoral College
    Executive Order
    Judicial Review
    Marriage
    Paper Money
    Political Parties
    Primary Elections
    Qualifications for Judges

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Right, but I was specifically responding to the assertion that this act violated one of the Bill of Rights, which seems nonsensical to me.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't always agree with their rulings, but I have to say, I love The Supreme Court Process and the back and forth between the lawyers and Justices.

7. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Oh I know Zeke12, my list was to point out the oddity that only some things are brought before the Supreme Court, which ironically is judicial review.

Slate had an article recently by a Columbia U. law prof who argued the Supreme Court should mainly police local and state laws for violations of federal law and not overturning acts of Congress.

I'm sure when the Supreme Court overturns ACA, the Freeper crowd will howl about "unelected" judges overturning the will of a democratically-elected body.

8. RickStain

Did I say Constitutional right or did I say fundamental right?

As for the second one, it's such a fundamental right that the very existence of the Constitution affirms it. The government's powers derive from the consent of the governed, and those powers are quite explicitly laid out. The government doesn't have the right to pass laws that it doesn't have the power to pass, and that implies that the citizens have the right to be free of such laws.

Point to that assertion, please.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Let's just all sit and ponder this for a while.

Then, our toes.

10. RickStain

My toes are hideous. I'll ponder this one forever before I even think about my nasty, fungal toes.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I need to do something about the callouses on my big toes. Otherwise not bad for guy feet.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

If it's supposed to be a commodity, people can't get it if they don't pay for it, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted