1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ragu, we could debate the particulars of the economics of this particular plan all day long. I could find you 10 studies that show that the lives saved and improved by the ACA is worth the money. You could then find me 10 more that show otherwise.

I just want to make sure that people understand, in general, why a mandate is such an important component of an efficient insurance market.

2. Dick Whitman

I try very hard to not be a Supreme Court cynic, and I defend the Supreme Court a lot against charges that it is, at all times, just a political entity.

If they overturn the mandate by a 5-4 vote, I will lose a lot of the faith I have put into the Court to rise above politics, ever.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In 2008 Obama believed that a mandate was wrong but he caved to the insurance companies.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Imagine all of the medical advances and innovation we could have had if Teddy had gotten that deal done.

Instead, medical care has stagnated. No new drugs have come on the market. No new surgical devices or techniques have been developed. And, very little money has gone into medical research.

5. Dick Whitman

Obama should have called it a tax from Day 1 and he probably wouldn't be in this mess, but didn't because taxes are political kryptonite. So he tried to finesse it.

6. Dick Whitman

There is no way, having spent several years where he spent several years as a teacher, that he thinks that a mandate is wrong.

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Correct. Obama's plan did not contain a mandate, but he usually answered questions about it saying that it wasn't a bad idea, but his primary concern was people without insurance who wanted it.

But Obama's white paper didn't pass as it was, and there was an awful lot of stuff to deal with.

The mandate was a part of Clinton's plan, and Edwards', as well, so this idea that Obama lifted it from Gingrich and the Heritage Foundation is fairly silly.

Yes, it originated with Republicans. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea. And the simple field trials in the states show those with a mandate faring much better than those without.

8. Dick Whitman

The one thing Mitt Romney did right as governor of Mass. was to promote the hell out of the mandate, and make the penalties stiff enough to coerce compliance. Stories about kids calling the exchanges and saying things like, "Um, my mom says I have to sign up or I'll get in trouble."

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

By the way, this is just anecdotal. It may be just my experience, although I doubt that is the case, because I talk to others. I am a small employer. I pay for group health insurance for myself and a couple of other people. My premiums increase every year, as the pace of health care price increases have.

Each year, I get a letter saying how much they are asking the state to be allowed to increase their premiums, and then another letter saying how much my premiums will end up going up. My next increase, when it kicks in later this year, is going to be the highest percentage increase yet. It's a very significant amount of money. From what they say, the "take all comers" mandate has had the biggest effect on driving up premiums.

Nothing about this law yet is making health insurance cost any less, and I strongly suspect it is already driving costs up beyond where they would have been, even if it is in a marginal way. That is what we are talking about in practice.

Also, the bill purposely pushed the parts that will end up adding to our debt to 2014, after the 2012 election. But the CBO analysis puts the 10-year cost at $1.76 trillion.

http://news.investors.com/article/604400/201203141851/cbo-obamacare-cost-double-obama-vow.htm

I'll bet that the final tally -- as is always the case with these spending boondoggles -- ends up much higher than that. We call it reform. We talk about cost savings. Not only are those cost savings not materializing -- or going to materialize -- it is not reform, when you just heap more accumulated debt onto something and say you have fixed it. That is an unsustainable fiscal plan with horrible consequences down the road.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, they work. They just don't work the way many (most? all?) would like.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Seems like everyone is ready to accuse the "conservatives" on the Court of playing politics.

But, the Conservatives appear to be the only ones with an open mind on this law and its Constitutionality. Folks are speculating mostly about how Kennedy will vote, but most analysts also think Scalia and Roberts might also uphold the law.

No one thinks that even a single liberal will even consider striking down any provision in the law, let alone throw out the entire thing.

So, which side is playing politics?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Zeke,

Serious question.

Assuming this gets struck down and Obama gets re-elected (at this point both seem likely), do you think he takes another shot at it, or does he walk away from it?

Draft saved Draft deleted