1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not to be a pest, here, because this is decidedly not my area. But it does seem as if this isn't the slam dunk case you're making it out to be. Further, it seems, to me, a bit convenient to label facets of the argument that you don't like as "political" and facets of the argument you do like as "obvious."

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The penalty is a tax. You get a tax credit if you buy insurance. It's like buying a Prius. The end.

3. Dick Whitman

I don't think the commerce clause argument is political. I think it is interesting.

I think that basing the decision on the commerce clause argument, striking it down based on the commerce clause argument, is political. This is a tax.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What makes you so sure that the court will rule it as a tax? The Solicitor General was not even sure when he presented.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course it isn't a tax.

But even if people want to twist themselves into pretzels arguing one day it isn't a tax, and the next that it is, the law itself doesn't call it a tax. It calls it a penalty. Which it obviously is. You have to buy something with your own money -- compelled by your government. If you don't do it, you pay a penalty.

It is a governmental attempt to intrude in private markets by compelling people to buy things, whether they want to or not.

That isn't a tax by any definition of the word. It's a precedent for the government inrtruding on our purchasing decisions and penalizing us if we don't buy whatever they deem necessary -- whether we want to or not.

6. Dick Whitman

The law doesn't call itself a tax because it is politically inconvenient to call it a tax. It is a ballet that Obama and a Democratic Congress are trying to perform.

I can call my dog a cat. That doesn't mean it's not a dog.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Then why should The Supreme Court call it a tax then?

8. The Big Ragu

Um. If your dog has cat DNA, trust me, it's a cat.

9. Dick Whitman

A tax is a penalty. You get a tax credit for buying a penalty. In other words, you get punished for not buying a Prius. You say tomato, I say tomat-oh.

10. Dick Whitman

Because what it's called doesn't matter.

What it does matters.

To go Michelle Bachmann on you guys: "Where in the Constitution" does it tell us how a tax must be structured?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, you don't get a tax credit for purchasing insurance. "Cash for Clunkers" gave out tax credits, but it didn't require anyone to buy a new car or levy a tax penalty on anyone who did not.

They could have written a bill that taxed everyone and gave out tax credits if you showed you had purchased private insurance. They didn't.

You want to dismiss all of this as semantics. They are not. The differences change everything.

12. The Big Ragu

You are comparing apples and oranges and then coming up with tomato, tomat-oh.

If the government mandated that you have to by a Prius, and then fined you for not doing it, THAT would be tomato, tomat-oh. Your analogy, is frankly, not analogous.

Draft saved Draft deleted