1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Scenario one:
    Dick, I'm going to give you $5. No, wait, I changed my mind, I'm not going to give you $5.

Scenario two:
    *walks up to Dick and forcibly removes $5 from his wallet.*

Under your argument, these are legally equivalent scenarios.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The practical effect of this interpretation -- which doesn't seem, IMO, to be holding much sway with the Supremes -- is that there is absolutely no limit to what the federal government can do so long as whatever it does can be interpreted as a tax. The feds could pass a law that says that every woman between 15 and 55 who doesn't have a monthly transvaginal ultrasound must pay an end-of-year tax penalty of, say, $12,000. It'd pass constitutional muster because, after all, it'd be a tax.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Other than the assault and battery?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Semantics

5. Dick Whitman

Correct.

And this is why we have elections.

6. RickStain

It's not assault and battery. It may look a lot like assault and battery, but it's actually just a payment from you to me, because the results are the same.

7. Dick Whitman

No. There are laws against assault and battery. Statutes.

Look, I understand that a lot of you are very emotionally invested in seeing this thing struck down. I get that it's a political Waterloo. But you ought to temper your enthusiasm, because, unless the five conservative justices are uniformly politically motivated, it's not going to happen. And I have too much faith in Scalia and Roberts to believe otherwise.

8. Dick Whitman

"This isn't a Star of David on the Brooklyn Town Hall. It's a ... five-pointed star fish!"

*SportsJournalists.com nods its approval*

The difference here is that the Constitution does not tell us how a tax has to be structured. It only says that income taxes are permissible. You are filling in the rest of the gaps yourselves, because everyone thinks they know what a tax is at this point and how it looks.

9. RickStain

It may *look* like the arguments that Dick was completely emotionally invested in are being legally brushed aside as if they were nothing, but cognitive dissonance allows him to explain it away as "politics."

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're wrong here Dick. Requiring people to purchase private insurance is also a tax then. And that payment is going to a private company.

Your examples are tax credits, but no one is forced to purchase anything to avoid paying a tax.

Those are payments from the government to private companies. That's not the same as requiring a direct payment from citizens to private companies. It's a big difference.

11. RickStain

Words mean what they mean.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do I owe a tax if I don't buy a Prius.

Draft saved Draft deleted