1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't see how that has anything to do with what I posted.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are mischaracterizing my position. You say that I am arguing that the principle of limited government "shouldn't" limit Congress in this case. I don't know if it "should" or not. I just know that it "doesn't."

3. RickStain

Ah, I get it now.

Either way: I'm not willing to give up on it just yet.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You don't care what the law says, so you are going to explain to me that it is something other than what it says?

You realize that is kind of a discussion ender.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not true.

I may decide that I'm better off self insuring. This law won't allow that.

I might want to just purchase a high deductible policy, that covers catastrophic care. But, the law will determine what kind of policy I can and must buy.

I might not want/need a policy that covers mental health care, or other types of care. But, I'll have to pay for them anyway, because the Government thinks it knows how to spend my money better than I do.

6. Dick Whitman

The most conservative person I know - and also probably the smartest person I have ever met - clerked for Justice Thomas. He despises Obama, politically.

What he told me a couple months ago: "It's a tax."

7. Dick Whitman

Yeah, but I'm not interested in value judgments here. That's another discussion, you know?

8. RickStain

And yet, that argument seems to be getting absolutely no traction in this case.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My brother's sisters' aunt -- who shall remain nameless -- loves Obama and got a perfect score on the Wonderlic test.

She told me the other day that it's a mandate to buy something that comes with fine for not complying. Her kindergarten age daughter concurs. But only after reading about what the law actually does.

10. Dick Whitman

Not whatsoever. I'm just not going to let political double speak intrude on my analysis of the constitutionality of a statute. Hell, it would almost serve Obama right - poetic justice-wise - to have this struck down. It would be, in some ways, his own damned fault for still refusing to acknowledge that it's a tax. I suspect that they have to be pretty confident in how this will go to have the Solicitor General continuing to avoid that term.

11. Dick Whitman

Again: Oral arguments, in 99.9 percent of Supreme Court cases, are useless. Ignore the red herring.

12. Dick Whitman

I just thought it was interesting how quickly dismissive this guy, who has some insight into how the Court works, was of the idea that this could be struck down.

Draft saved Draft deleted