1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Big Government has taken over. I think they're amending the law to also mandate the purchase of no fewer than 15 broccoli stalks per family per year. It will practically pay for itself as long as people use their A&P cards at checkout.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That depends on your assumptions. Some (me among them) believe that the rate of increase has been driven by the way we finance healthcare (i.e., hugely biased toward employer-provided insurance). Given that, if you see the ACA as taking that approach to its limits, you might even conclude that its complete implementation will cause health care costs to rise even faster.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Broccoli? But I already paid to subsidize corn and sorghum and soybeans. Can't I just get a salad?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . but a good cigar is a smoke.

"What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."

-- The One, The Only

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, what a great system.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ragu, I think you misunderstood. I'm saying a tax credit for buying a Prius is not the same thing. An offer to help on your tax bill is not the same as threatening an extra tax if you don't do x. Just because the net dollar effect on your tax bill is the same doesn't mean the methods can be treated the same.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought you might be suggesting that, but I wasn't certain. Sorry. Yup. They are not the same thing. It's twisted logic to me; not even logic, because I believe anyone trying to argue that is deliberately reaching.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You can argue against it.

But I don't think that it = "If you can't afford health care, die."

There's also Medicaid.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

This happened for me with Bush v. Gore. Especially with the remarks by O'Connor.

10. Tarheel316

That's because those activist judges make decisions for political reasons.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

If this gets thrown out by the Supreme Court or repealed by a Republican President and Congress, you probably won't see another legislative initiative even approaching this magnitude again in your lifetime.

Our politics are so polarized, compromise considered so dangerous for one's political career, that even getting the simplest and seemingly most routine of bills through Congress is torturous. And because of the filibuster and both parties' eagerness to use it for short-term political gain, it essentially takes 60 votes - not 51 - to get legislation through the Senate. Even on the rare occasion that one party has 60 seats in the Senate, there will be a Joe Lieberman type amidst that 60 who will gum up the works for the sheer hell of it. So you need people from the other side. Good luck with that.

Why would any Congressman or Senator, who wants to keep his/her lucrative, hard-fought job for as long as possible, want to risk that to pursue a massive, bold legislative initiative?

12. Tarheel316

The system is broken, no question.

Draft saved Draft deleted