1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Funny how so many people proclaim to hate the government, but then run for a position in government and then once there are terrified of ever having to leave that position.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Without resorting to hyperbole, there are several levels of risk in this decision that directly impact and will directly describe our ability to govern ourselves.

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

How so, Zeke?

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Well, for one thing, a decision that appears political is really going to erode faith in the Supreme Court -- a body that largely operates on the basis of its' reputation.

For another, a dismissal and/or a 5-4 decision to uphold is going to embolden the present levels of legislative obstructionism -- which are unprecedented.

And upholding it is only gonna stir up the Tea Party crowd to a fever pitch.

5. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

That makes sense.

I can only imagine the furor if a Republican appointee leaves the SC while and if the Dems control the Senate and the White House.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I think a lot of people lost faith in that body after Bush v. Gore. Anytime you make a political decision like that and then say it only applies in this one instance and then later talk about how necessary it was for one of the sides to win, you pretty much lose the higher ground.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How do you feel about Roe v. Wade? Griswold v Connecticut? Planned Parenthood v. Casey?

This is what the Supreme Court does. It steps into divisive social issues and creates social policy based on the moral judgments of the majority. It's nothing new. It's been going on since the nature of the court changed between the 1930s and 1950s.

What is different is that the many of the decisions don't support the social agendas of the people who were applauding it in the 50s, 60s and 70s. But when the opened the barn door. ... A politically-motivated court that acts extraconstitutionally cuts both ways. People are getting a taste of that.

This is nothing new. People aren't going to riot in the streets. It's not like the Dred Scott decision, when it was a time when it was expected that the court DIDN'T act as an unelected legislature.

Nowadays? It's expected.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If it happens under Obama's watch, he'll start out trying to prove how presidential he is by nominating a moderate conservative, and then move rightward under the protests.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The idea of this being 5-4, along party lines, is doubtlessly keeping Roberts up at night right now. I think he cares about legacy, and I think he realizes that this will define his. I thought it would be gay marriage, and that might still be a part of it. But striking down this law 5-4, along party lines, would really erode the Court's credibility. So would affirming it 5-4, though not quite to the same extent.

10. Dick Whitman

Hey, let's not forget Lochner. The Warren Court was not the first to go political on America's collective ass. Lochner makes Roe v. Wade look like a surgical exercise in dispassionate legal logic.

11. Dick Whitman

BTW, I was a late arriver to this thread because I wanted to wait out the oral arguments this week. But I have to say that few quasi-political topics on this board seem to bring out the best in us than Supreme Court matters. I mean, there are some fiercely different views here, and everyone is just attacking arguments, not posters. As it should be.

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

That said, Bush v. Gore is still the pinnacle of the form.

And I am as sympathetic as I could possibly be.

In essence, they were called in to do what they did -- decide an election.

They still wrote a stinker.

Draft saved Draft deleted