1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That whole "oral arguments aren't all that revealing" assertion? Some folks out there apparently have tried to see whether it holds water or not. (Here's the link (http://themonkeycage.org/) ... scroll down a bit and you'll see the work, especially the references of published studies regarding the overall question). Take it for what it's worth ... I found it interesting.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's really interesting. I'd like to see some even deeper political science empirical studies on oral arguments, but this is a really nice start.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's interesting that the severability clause of Obamacare was removed from House bill when it went to the Senate.

It would seem that someone was thinking at that time that ultimate decision would rest with the Supreme Court.

Without severability clause it puts the Supreme Court in the unenviable position of overturning a law where parts are already in progress and could not be left intact. It makes it all or nothing.

I doubt that it was an oversight.

4. Dick Whitman

I'd like to see a study on how oral arguments break down when the constitutionality of a statute is at issue, rather than just lumping all Supreme Court cases together. I wonder if the justices are more apt to grill the government in a situation like this, even if the law is ultimately upheld, than the plaintiff? It would be interesting, for example, to analyze the oral arguments from the 1964 Civil Rights Act cases.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I thought it was the kind of thing they expected to add to the final language, but then when Kennedy died, and Brown won the seat, the only way to pass the bill was for the House to vote on the bill that had already passed the Senate.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The severability clause was to have been added in conference, but there was no conference and the bill went through reconciliation instead. It wasn't by design.

I don't think the lack of a severability clause will sway the justices one way or the other. They'll make their ruling and let the chips fall where they may.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but not having it in there adds greater weight to the decision. It would seem to be a lot
    easier if they could just disallow the mandatory buy in as opposed to all or nothing.

Clearly there was a reason that it was taken out in committee.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, just another $17 trillion(!!!!) shortfall discovered in this "saving" bill.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/30/another-17-trillion-surprise-found-in-obamacare/

9. Dick Whitman

Completely irrelevant to the matter at hand.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also, entirely fictional.

11. Dick Whitman

The more I think about it, the more I am solidly convinced that they will uphold the mandate. The Supreme Court has a method of interpretation in which they give a Congressional statute as much deference as possible - i.e., the baseline assumption is that it is Constitutional. This is one reason that I'm convinced that the tax argument is a clear route to upholding the statute - it may not be a tax as we have all come to think of them, at least structurally, but it's a "reasonable" way to interpret the mandate so as to maintain its Constitutionality. This was discussed a lot in the Enron case where Skilling's conviction was overturned - they didn't want to completely invalidate the honest services act for being too vague, so they held that it applied to kickbacks and bribery and that's it.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I project a funding gap in my grocery bill for the week of March 31, 2087.

Draft saved Draft deleted