1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Roberts might prefer narrow rulings, and large consensuses.

I'm not sure he's willing to vote against his beliefs in order to achieve either. And, if he is, he's apparently the only Justice who would do so.

No one has suggested Ginsburg or Breyer would vote in such a fashion, but Roberts would? I don't buy it.

It's all the projection of a liberal mind. It also supposes that a Conservative would be unable to vote with them because he agrees with them, or their legal arguments. But, maybe they could be swayed by emotional issues. Pure liberal thought.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They're all Republicans now. They're all yours.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who says he would have to? Roberts is a smart cookie. I'm quite sure he could figure out a way to make the legislation stand - which is the conservative approach, by the way - while deciding it narrowly enough to keep the commerce clause and taxing power under control. In fact, that's another reason I expect the taxing power to be the route the Court goes. They will ignore the commerce clause issue because that's an enormous precedent that they don't want to tangle with if they don't have to.

4. YankeeFan

The players in a 58-year-old decision are now Republicans? I'd guess most are now dead. Were they Baptized into the Republican Party posthumously?

What party can we assign Benedict Arnold too?

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I think this was it.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

This is why I really hope the decision is at least 6-3 either way.

It won't stop all the "activist judges!" cries, but it will stop many of them because the ruling will then clearly be across partisan lines.

7. YankeeFan

I just hope we can get a couple of Conservatives to vote with the Liberals! That will solve all of our problems.

As if Liberals wouldn't fully embrace a 5-4 decision in their favor, That would be fine, but 5-4 the other way would be "purely political".

Absurd.

8. Dick Whitman

Again: The default is that the Court does not overturn major Congressional legislation. It has not done so since the Great Depression, in fact. So the attention, naturally, gravitates toward the bloc that may overturn it, because that would seem like the so-called "activist" response. If this were a Bush or Romney bill, it would be the other bloc accused of playing politics.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Exactly.

Which is why a very conservative friend of mine who happens to be an attorney predicted a 6-3 decision to uphold with Kennedy writing and Roberts also writing a very short concurrence that said, in his best Lou Brown voice, "Nice fucking law, guys, don't ever fucking do it again."

I don't think Roberts would see something like that as a "waste" of his vote and I don't think it's a liberal plot to say so.

10. Dick Whitman

I said earlier on this thread that I know a guy who clerked for Thomas.

He says 7-2.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's some world champion pull-quoting out-of-context there.

The "racists" the Old Tony referred to among the Democratic voting bloc of that time were almost entirely southern Democrats, a legacy of the Civil War and Reconstruction when Republicans were persona non grata in the South for 100 years.

Nearly all of that voting bloc has flipped to the GOP.

But I'm sure you knew that.

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

If they call it a tax, I think that's correct. Scalia comes along, but probably writes a separate concurrence explaining how he could get out of the box he put himself in with the Raich opinion if he wanted to, because, well, he's Scalia, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted