1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Desk, The NHS is a disaster. Brits hate it. And it doesn't do a particularly good job of providing health care by any measure: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1234276/Britain-sick-man-Europe-Heart-cancer-survival-rates-worst-developed-world.html

But just with cancer outcomes overall, Europe has much worse survival rates than the U.S. It's mostly linked to the fact that the U.S. spends more on health care than any other country. We do actually get something for it in the aggregate. The U.S. has the best survival rates in the world when it comes to breast cancer and prostate cancer.

I can find you a lot of links. Here is one from the Economist a google search just found: http://www.economist.com/node/11777096

In the Lancet Oncology study the link references, looking at Europe as a whole relative to the U.S., it is particularly shocking when it comes to prostate cancer. Europe had a much lower survival rate than the U.S. when it comes to all cancers. But 5-year survival for prostate cancer in the US is 91.9 percent compared to 57.1 percent in Europe.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/115086.php

All of this is due to two things, most likely. The U.S. spends more on health care than any country. And the nationalized programs, in order to control costs, sacrifice things like screening and frequent testing, which lead to a lot of early diagnoses in the U.S., and early diagnosis does more to save lives than anything.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Getting those who can purchase health coverage, but choose not to, is a huge step in the right direction.

Fewer tests isn't the solution, and isn't going to happen. Not only is it not safe, but also the malpractice factor is in play and not testing to rule out something will invite the issue.

No point in trying to get some form stating that patients will gladly bypass the test. Talked to a physician once regarding this, and was told that the form wouldn't be worth the paper on which it's printed.

Given our current system of healthcare and litigation, fewer tests are not going to happen.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Do you have any justification for your statement that "the Brits hate the NHS?"

Because as a Brit who lives here and rather likes the NHS, I can unequivocally tell you that you're wrong. We recognize the imperfections in the NHS, but ask 100 people if they'd rather have the U.S. system and if you got one yes, it'd be because you accidentally included David Fucking Cameron in your sample. No one, NO FUCKING ONE, wants to wholesale get rid of the NHS. Understand? NO. ONE.

So yeah. You can stick your "the Brits hate the NHS" in a warm, dark place.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I used to go to an endocrinologist in the States that would charge 20 goddamn dollars for a finger-stick blood glucose test, the same one I perform at home multiple times a day. They'd bill me six of those dollars. Six fucking dollars for a test I've done on my own probably in excess of 100,000 times.

But yeah. MORE testing. That's the ticket.

5. The Big Ragu

Sorry it is so personal for you.

Yes, I have plenty of "justification" for what I said. For one, it's no coincidence that no one has copied the NHS. But that probably being too vague for you, I'll just defer to Gallup and the stories you frequently see in the British press: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-94561/Public-unhappy-NHS--poll.html

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You're citing the Daily Mail, which shoots your credibility in the face. The poll was commissioned by the Daily Telegraph*, which makes results showing dissatisfaction with the NHS less surprising. And although the article doesn't appear to be dated, it references Alan Milburn as health secretary.

Alan Milburn resigned as health secretary in 2003.

Nonetheless, even if it were a valid source, and not a 9-year-old survey, it'd be worth pointing out that four in 10 saying they'd go private if they could is hardly surprising. It's asking Buick owners if they'd rather have a BMW. Well yeah, of course they would. Doesn't mean the Buick isn't plenty good enough.

*-Yes, it was conducted by Gallup. That said, one must analyze EVERYTHING in the British press from the perspective of which newspaper created it. And I say that as someone who will happily use the Guardian to prove a point.

By the way, I HAVE private health insurance, through work. Have done for over a year. I've never used it.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh, look. A survey from 2011. Wonder what it says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12805586

8. The Big Ragu

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is link to the New Yorker article by Dr Atul Gawande.
    He discusses the results from The Dartmouth Study.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande

Lengthy but well worth the read to truly understand some of the health care issues of the day. It was a big read at the White House.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Indeed, the NHS won't pay for drugs until it's proven that they work. What an idea. And your focus on cancer care suggests exactly the reality: that cancer care in the U.K. has typically been behind the standards in other parts of the world. What you ignore is the steady improvement. You also ignore that your original contention was that the Brits hate the NHS, which was comprehensively disproven.

Moreover, from one of the Daily Mail stories you linked:

So if you care about some people having access to the best care money can buy, the U.S. is your place. If you care about people not dying from literally festering tumors that lie undiagnosed and then untreated, then maybe it's not.

And if the U.K. spent 16% of GDP on health care, then I'd bet that the cancer survival rate would improve. As it is, the U.S. does that and STILL doesn't cover 50 million people. Break down those cancer survival numbers by socioeconomic means and I bet it doesn't look so nice and shiny.

11. The Big Ragu

I remember that article. Don't have time to reread it right now, but I remember enough about it.

I do remember my general impression being that Gawande got the problem exactly right -- medical costs are higher than necessary in the aggregate because the incentives are skewed toward providing more treatment.

But he made a really bad and simplistic analogy when he took the article in the direction of "providing health care is like "building a house." He explained that we are providing health care without having a general contractor -- the guy who keeps on eye on what's really necessary and desirable and keeps the costs down.

To me that is kind of a useless analogy, because the general-contractor model works well in an actual market, and is driven by consumer demand. It isn't mandated by government.

When government acts as the general contractor, as every experience we have should tell us, it doesn't lead to cost conscious OR efficient results.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ragu on Michelangelo's David: "David's penis was out of proportion to his scrotum"

Draft saved Draft deleted