1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UConn soccer player sues after losing scholarship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, hell with her then. I'm flipping her the bird right now!

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ah. Point taken.

I'm a fan of anyone who sues a school regarding NCAA scholarships.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

There ya go :)

4. LongTimeListener

Isn't the idea that a coach can blow apart a student-athlete's academic and social life on this kind of a whim a bit disconcerting?

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It tends to be self-correcting. If word gets out that a coach screws with people's lives like that capriciously, that coach won't be getting many players worth having and will soon wash out. But the way the rules are written, scholarships are renewable at the coach's discretion. This guy coached women's soccer; he didn't have control of football player punishments.

6. LongTimeListener

So the patently unfair treatment of the kid is fine because the coach will have a harder time recruiting in 10 years.

doctorquant likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not for the super successful coaches. If Saban or Krzyzewski acted that way, they would be praised as molders of men.

As far as the coach's discretion, they all are still under the purview of the athletic department. While the coach still has leeway in terms of their team rules (one coach with a curfew, another without, for instance), the athletic department still has control (supposedly) of their coaches. If male athletes get greater leeway in their teams' rules than female athletes with the athletic department's knowledge, there could be claims of discrimination.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A few years ago, there was a women's soccer player at another Division 1 school who posted a Tweet that was in rather poor taste about Jerry Sandusky prior to her team's NCAA tournament game against Penn State. The team suspended her but kept her on the team. Of course, she was a multiple-time all-conference player who is now in the NWSL and played briefly with the USWNT.

That's why I wondered if this player had any other disciplinary issues prior to this. If she did, then it was understandable that the coach cut her loose. If she was just not playing up to expectations and the coach was looking for an excuse to get rid of her, that's a different story.

If something is going to be a one-strike-and-you're-out kind of offense, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I would think that unless there were documented previous offenses that should not rise to the "pull your scholly" level. How many male football and basketball players have given another player, the crowd, or the camera the finger and kept their scholarship?

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I can recall many a casual bird captured, but not another one so plainly (and unabashedly) directed at the camera — and transitively, right to every viewer of the event. WTF was the message she was trying to impart?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"I'm barely (or not even) out of my teens and therefore am especially prone to dipshittery"?

Draft saved Draft deleted