1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment benefits story (sympathy or sob)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. If it takes $8.50 an hour to keep you.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Goldbrick! Malingerer! Parasite!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's awesome.

Here's the flip side.

I worked for a union paper. We were allowed 12 sick days a year. In October, the union steward would post the list of how many days each person had used. The result was a huge rise in absences in the final three months of the year because people saw the list and became pissed that one person had taken nine sick days when they had used one.

It destroyed morale.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This is laughable

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How so?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"Extended benefits will keep some from looking for work." - Right.

"People need extended benefits to survive." - Right.

We're in a lose-lose situation and as much as I hate it, I would rather have people mooching off unemployment than seeing people become homeless because they have no benefits.

I would love to say, "Well, they need to prove they're looking for work." But there's no way to police that. The busiest people in this country are at the unemployment office. They barely have the manpower to keep up with layoffs.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's interesting that many of our conservative posters seem to see great value in working at low-paying jobs and getting by on a hard-earned $20,000 a year.

You do what you have to do, but if I can get $400 a week in unemployment, I am taking that and looking for a $50,000 a year job, rather than making sandwiches and delivering pizzas for the same $400 and a sense of Horatio Alger pride.

I have to think the networking opportunities at Subway are pretty limited, though I guess you could make the case that taking all those vegetables, meats, cheeses and breads and producing sandwiches on deadline is good project management experience.

8. YankeeFan

That's cool. But I took a low paying job, learned a trade, and then started my own business based on what I learned at the low paying job.

Now, I'm worried about how the extension - or lack thereof -- of the Bush tax cuts will effect me.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What are you worried about? It will cost a couple hundred extra bucks or it won't.

If you can keep your income below $250,000, the Dems have your back.

10. YankeeFan

I think you missed the larger point.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Possibly. If so, I blame your misuse of "effect."

12. YankeeFan

Yeah, I'm bad with that. Have been called out on it before.

I'm sure that if I spent five minutes with it, I could figure it out, but I figured 50/50 odds were worth just going with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted