1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment benefits story (sympathy or sob)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 1, 2010.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Moot point after today's numbers. Unemployment benefits will be extended.

Sorry, Starman ( ;) ).

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

“The test of our progress is not whether we add to the abundance of those who have much. It is whether we provide enough to those who have little.”

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's the case.

In fact, I'd say that extension of all the tax cuts is the most likely reaction to today's numbers.

99 weeks sounds like a lot to me.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but YF's service is worth whatever people are willing to pay.

He's under absolutely no obligation, moral or otherwise, to sell himself short of what someone is willing to shell out. None.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Disagree. It's all about Mitch McConnell's ego - he doesn't give a flying @#$% about the unemployed, even in his home state. If he wants to shut down government, the smartest thing the Dems can do is let him.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

There are some legal obligations with respect to it. His service is worth what someone's willing to pay if there's a free and open market with no price fixing or other anti-competitive practices. $600 an hour to fix a coffee maker doesn't seem like a deal that would be reached in a free and open market to me.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Right. I was assuming no regulatory restrictions.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think the "$600/hour" thing is a little overblown.

He said it took 20 minutes to fix it. That's once he was there. It also took time to get the parts, drive out there and drive back (or to wherever his next stop was).

May have used an hour or two of his time for that $200.

9. Point of Order

A sandwich artist need only work 4 days to make that much.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Then maybe they should be something besides a sandwich artist. Or deal with it.

There's always going to be someone who makes a lot more money than you, no matter what you do. Even a sandwich artist is in the 90th percentile of wealth on a global scale.

11. Point of Order

Sandwich artist is just the jumping off point for owning your own sandwich empire. When you take that minimum wage salary, pay rent, make the car and utility payments, you take what's left over and sock it away so you'll have enough net worth to obtain that business loan and purchase the real estate where you'll open your own sandwich shop -- once you've learned the vendors, that is.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's pretty funny to see a country moaning that the middle class can't catch a break and mocking the only thing that actually drives economic growth in the long run.

Draft saved Draft deleted