1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment benefits story (sympathy or sob)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My cousin is a plumber. He makes six figures in most years.

He charges $200 an hour. $300 on weekends.

I asked him what percentage of his calls can be taken care of with a plunger that you can buy at any Wal-Mart.

He said 50-60 percent.

If he has 50 customers in a week and more than 25 of them happily pay $200 to have him do something that takes him a couple minutes to do, is that fair? He's professionally trained. He's supplying a service. If people think he's ripping them off, he'll lose business.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If people properly maintained their machines (cleaned them) and changed their water filters, 90% of my business would go away.

If they learned how to make a few simple repairs, that would be 50%. (But let's be honest, if they're not going to maintain the machine, they're unlikely to fix it themselves.)

These machines are expensive. They've been designed for idiots. Push a button, get a shot of espresso.

And, as Mizzou describes, I once paid Sears home service to come out and "fix" my dryer. He popped it open and removes a sock.

It took him two minutes. I think it cost me $200. If I had known how to pop it open, I could have fixed it, but I didn't. I do now. Won't be calling them again anytime soon.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who makes that determination?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, making $200 for 20 minutes of work sounds ridiculous. But if YF can do it, more power to him. He's earning that money.

What I don't like is people receiving money that they didn't earn. Such as newspaper CEOs.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you know how to do something that most people can't do and you can make money doing that, I have nothing but respect for those people.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sigh ...

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think what's throwing people here is that someone obviously spent more than $200 on a coffee maker to be willing to pay $200 to fix it.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're fixated on "coffee maker" as if it was a 4-cup Mr. Coffee or even a personal espresso machine that required a $10/minute repair. You can probably push past the $10,000 barrier for a restaurant-grade machine. Expensive things lead to expensive repairs.

9. doctorquant

What's throwing me is the idea that, even though both parties to the transaction are better off as a result of the transaction, there might be something unseemly about it.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

11. doctorquant

Laughing ...

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You have to be just pushing buttons now.

Draft saved Draft deleted