1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment benefits story (sympathy or sob)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with YankeeFan charging $200 for a 20-minute fix.

But if the federal government did that, he'd be hollering.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What's a fair and reasonable price for button-pushing, anyway? :)

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why would the Feds be fixing coffee makers?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Here in America we let markets decide what's fair and equitable. I have no problem with it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is true. I sell things to Feds. I know. :D

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Awwww . . . is Mr. "We won, you lost, now shut up!" feeling a little upset?

They won, you lost. Too bad.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I have to agree.

Let me as you a question. You think I'm an extortionist even though I have plenty of competition -- all bigger, more established companies -- that any of my customers could call.

I charge a comparable or even higher rate than my competition. I believe -- and my customers must agree -- that my service is worth it.

Now, I've seen the reaction that writers who are willing to freelance or otherwise provide content to newspapers or other media at prices far below the accepted norm get. It's pretty rough. They're derided for working at below market rates. They're ridiculed for selling their services at too low a price. They're accused of taking food off of the table of more established, higher paid writers.

(And don't get me started on the venom that is directed Wal*Mart's way.

So, what would you call me if I told you that I moved here five years ago to start my business and I undercut the prices of all of the competition? What if I decided that I could get by on $50,000 or $75,000 per year and so I could get away with charging my customers $40.00 an hour instead of $75.00?

Would I be a hero for bringing lower prices to the market or would I be a villain for taking food off of the table of the already established companies?

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I wouldn't go using Walmart as an example. The venom they get isn't at the low prices, but more at how they treat people and employees.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you are interested in this topic, please see the new thread I just started:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/80899/

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Christmas Club and a Flexplan you can live without. That's $10 a week. You can not honestly be advocating working without insurance and counting on the government to bail you out when something bad happens. That's irresponsible -- and frankly chickenshit.

I hear ya. I'm just saying that your math failed to include some expenses. I'm all for getting the freeloaders off of their couches.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You have $X dollars. You start with the most basic things you must have and work your way up. Health insurance is probably not going to make the cut on that salary. Food and shelter will pretty much eat it all.

Bankruptcy isn't really the government bailing you out. It just prevents them from using the government to collect from you. And you really wouldn't even have to declare bankruptcy. At that income level, you have nothing to seize and you don't even make enough for them to garnish your paycheck.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Win, win!

Draft saved Draft deleted