1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment benefits story (sympathy or sob)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 1, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well...

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think YF's saga shows that college is useless. What it shows is that it's not the only ticket to success. Creativity and initiative -- which YF seems to have in spades -- can work wonders, too.

3. YankeeFan

By the way, I notice that Point of Order either didn't see my question or chose to ignore it.

I'd actually like an answer.

4. YankeeFan

Of course. I don't mean to knock college.

If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, teacher, etc., go to college, work hard, get a great education.

It will serve you well.

But there are a number of ways to learn.

I can't tell you how many restaurant managers I meet with college degrees. It's really not necessary. You could have saved a lot of money and gotten a lot of experience just working in restaurants.

Find what works for you and use any and every occasion to learn.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If your goal is to become financially independent, and you aren't born into a family with a reasonable amount of money already in place, then liberal arts degrees are pretty much useless.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's sad, because a college education is pretty much unattainable for those who want to work there way through school without needing loans (at least for most of us). Colleges started taking advantage of the free money they got from the feds to raise tuition and state governments started cutting back because they know that students will just take out a loan for school.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

And many of us put ourselves in hock to get this journalism degree, which now qualifies us to work jobs that often don't even pay a living wage.

A few years ago, I interviewed for the ME slot at my shop... which ended up going to one of our freelancers who had never even BEEN to college, let alone gotten a J-degree.

So that degree I battled so hard to get apparently is worth little more than the paper it's printed on.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Caring for sick or disabled people in their homes can also be lucrative.

An aunt of mine has been doing it for several years. And many times she is asked to do round-the-clock service. So in 3 days she can get 72 hours of pay, when one-third of it was sleeping.

And it's tax free, of course.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

No. But you don't have to go to a gazillion-dollar-a-year private school. At least get a four-year degree.

11. YankeeFan

Well, here's a couple of different business ideas in just the first couple of paragraphs of this article (mostly kidding):

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you could bring business cards into the wives' box at the World Series, you'd be rich.

Draft saved Draft deleted