1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment benefits story (sympathy or sob)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Which question? I was at work. YF actually reminds me of someone I used to work with. I couldn't stand the guy but he had an incessant quality that benefited him greatly.

2. Point of Order

It's not class warfare. It's class genocide.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I worked with a guy like that on my college paper. He was consistently wrong, but he wasn't a dick about it when you challenged him.

If you disagreed with him, you weren't an evil person out to destroy America. You could actually have a civil discussion with him, and then go out for a beer and continue the discussion after work. You don't see that so much any more. We can't agree to disagree. It's really pretty sad.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This from the guy who earlier dropped three snarky comments in a couple of hours.

As if I wouldn't come back and reply.

And, to make it easy on you, I quoted my earlier question in my last quote.

So, I guess you missed it twice.

When you get a chance, please come back and answer.

5. YankeeFan

Well, I'm not exactly like your old co-corker since I'm not consistently wrong. :)

But at least you & I have been able to disagree in the past without being disagreeable. (Mostly.)

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Actually, yeah, you pretty much are. :) But the longer you stay around here, the more hope there will be for you. :)

There's no reason educated people shouldn't be able to able to engage in a civil discussion without resorting to some of the nonsense that sometimes goes on around here.

As for the unemployment benefits thing ... buzz I am reading is that an extension will happen ... probably in conjunction with a compromise on the tax cuts. Both sides will have something to point to for their base, and all will be good until the next contentious issue comes along.

7. Point of Order

Oh, you mean those questions about what I'd call you if you lowered your prices? Sorry, I thought they were rhetorical. What would I call you if you decided that you could get by on $50,000 or $75,000 per year, and that you could get away with charging your customers $40.00 an hour instead of $75.00?

Easy, I'd call you my coffee machine repairman.

8. YankeeFan

Point of Order, you called my $200 job the other day "extortion".

I'm almost afraid to ask what you think of the job I did this morning

The call came in around 6:30. The report was that their coffee brewer "made a loud popping noise" and then "had smoke come out of it".

Now, it's Sunday, so I charge double time. That's $150.00 to go out and $150.00 per hour while on site.

This is the kind of machine I was working on:

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/grindmaster/pb-430/p348966.aspx

When I got there, it looked like it must have been his by some kind of electrical surge.

The wiring was severely damaged. It was burned out, broken, and melted in some points. A couple of major electrical components were also damaged.

So, I had to replace a couple of components and I had to meticulously replace a bunch of wiring.

All told, it took me about 2.5 hours.

So, here's how their bill broke down:

Initial Fee: $150.00
    Labor: $375.00
    Materials: $154.28 (This customer gets a 25% discount on parts)
    Tax on the parts: $15.04
    Parking: $0.00 (It was in a suburban strip mall.)
    Mileage: $9.72 (36 miles round trip @ $0.27 per mile.)

Total: $704.04

Not bad for a couple of hours on a Sunday morning.

9. YankeeFan

But you're offended by writers who offer their services at below market rate, aren't you?

What's the difference?

10. Point of Order

I'm more offended by price gouging.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh yes, please share with us your fully-informed views of price gouging. We await your latest analyses with great eagerness.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

POOnomics, the economic system by which Point of Order decides what is fair for everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted