1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment benefits story (sympathy or sob)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 1, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm curious.

How many people here have ever worked in a restaurant or fast food location.

I usually attend the National Restaurant Association's annual trade show. The restaurant industry is a huge employer and they are a big lobbying force. They are very interested in and effected (or affected, whichever word is right) by issues like immigration reform & health care reform.

They put out numbers & statistics and a huge percentage of Americans have at one time worked in a restaurant. A lot of successful politicians either worked in a restaurant as a kid or have a parent who did (often as an owner).

I never worked at a restaurant, but I would recommend it to any teenager.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All of those factors are true, but they won't be needing additional labor anytime soon because productivity gains have come so far and they've learned so well through the recession how to do more with less.

So while the growth will be there (and already is there), but the jobs aren't.

And what do you call growth propped up by deficit spending and not creating middle-class purchasing power through jobs? Temporary and sporadic.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Plus which, every waitress there will trade sexual favors for a bigger share of the tip jar. I seen it in all the movies.

4. YankeeFan

This is why I keep saying that people need to reexamine their careers. (I'm not arguing with you, I think you largely agree with me on this.)

Your job may not be coming back as the economy grows. It might not be pleasant to hear, but they've learned how to get by without you.

5. YankeeFan

Well...

I almost mentioned this, but didn't want to get to far off topic, but restaurant employees to seem to have a lot of sex.

That hot waitress you like? You probably won't pick her up. But, one of the line chefs likely will or has.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've actually attended that show once with my brother, who is in the hotel industry.

I was more interested in the free food and free beer samples than anything else. :D

7. YankeeFan

It's really unbelievable.

I brought my girlfriend with me last year. Sunday morning she wanted to know if we could go back for "brunch".

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Because she had her eye on a fry cookl working the convention.

9. YankeeFan

Maybe you meant that in some kind of good natured way, but I'm having a hard time reading it that way.

Actually, I'm reading it as a very inappropriate comment.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Probably riffing off your restaurant sex tangent a few posts back. I doubt it was malicious.

11. YankeeFan

Maybe. I hope so.

Still kind of weird to say about my girlfriend.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This thread is filled with unexpected delights.

Draft saved Draft deleted