1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATED: Attacker at Ohio State University killed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Nov 28, 2016.

1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

OK. But in a crowd of people, how well is anyone going to be able to see?

Someone who can see the cop well would probably make the right conclusion.

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The university put that part out there.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Any job worth doing is worth doing right.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How do you determine anyone's credibility? There's no one way to do it, and it's highly dependent on the nature of the crime and the people involved.

Do they have an agenda?

Were they too close to the incident or too rattled to remember it clearly?

What did they say? How did they say it?

Was their voice shaky or steady? Were they a little too angry or a little too calm?

What was their level of familiarity with either the suspect or the victim?

Where were they and what were they doing when it happened?

Some of those things can be determined at first sight. The others may take a minute or two.

For example, I spoke to the sister of a victim once, who was clearly and understandably distraught. She watched her sister get gunned down less than a football field away. I spoke to her, and then spoke to police. When the stories lined up, I could tell I was wrong about her not being reliable. Adaptability is good.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No long hair, no visible tattoos.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It is not irresponsible journalism to quote a witness saying he/she "heard gunshots outside my window," as long as you also report the caveat that it's unknown where and from whom the gunshots came.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I got a haircut.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is the beauty of living in a free society with the guarantees the Bill of Rights gave us. There are a gazillion modes of disseminating information and there are all kinds of people and organizations availing themselves of the freedom to publish or broadcast, each with their own standards for choosing what to disseminate.

Some individuals or organizations aim to be professional and transparent. Others don't -- maybe they want to deceive or they want to advance an agenda of some sort. Some do a good job with regard to objectivity and truth, others don't. As an individual, you are perfectly free to evaluate the methods and track record and the likelihood of accuracy of someone reporting news -- from the guy on twitter to a large organization with hundreds of reporters and bureaus all around the world.

You are even free to pick up a camera or a microphone or a pen and cocktail napkin. ... and do it yourself. Maybe you have the clairvoyant ability to "vet" info related to breaking news that you are twisting yourself into a pretzel to criticize others about, and you can do it better. It will make you a "journalist," *gasp* which contrary to what you seem to believe, doesn't give you entry into some monolithic club with rules dictating the methods you have to use to uncover and report the things you are interested in reporting about.

Otherwise, as a consumer of what others report, you are perfectly free to evaluate the sources of information you come across on your own and decide for yourself whether you value what they offer. It's what everyone else does -- whether it is the partisan who simply wants affirmation of whatever it is he or she wants to believe (how you come across on here to me), or the person who wants to get at some sort of objective truth and evaluates a news organizations' track record of getting things right.

You have it in your head that the common standards many journalists have CHOSEN to adopt are due to a stringent code of ethics grounded in some didactic moral reasoning. When the reality is that it is like everyone else selling something -- if you are putting yourself out there as a source of news, to succeed you want to be credible to the greatest number of people. That has traditionally been the tried and true way to retain an audience and sell advertising.

But if you think that [name your source of information] isn't credible. ... you are perfectly free to find a more credible source of information as you see it, or you can get out there yourself and fill in the gap in reliable information you seem to see everywhere. I personally find it ridiculous. People misinforming others is not a new construct. It's what happens when everyone has a right to be a "journalist" and there is freedom. Even with that, I'd argue that we are better informed than ever, because we have so many more modes of disseminating information, which can be widely disseminated instantaneously in ways never possible before. That doesn't come with the incomprehensible guarantee you seem to want that everything is true or "vetted" or comes without some bias. Most people get that.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  9. YankeeFan

We've got some kid who says there were multiple shooters.

Media: Run with it!

We have the attacker, in his own words, saying he would kill a billion infidels.

Media: It's too soon to speculate about motive.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Are there a billion infidels?

11. YankeeFan

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

If an infidel is defined as someone who rejects the word of Allah and his prophet, Muhammad, then, yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted