1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATED: Attacker at Ohio State University killed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Nov 28, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Very very little upside.

Last time I covered one, I did a Facebook live from just outside the scene. This was at a high school and while I didn't have a lot of facts, I was able to show the scene and talk to a couple of people who were inside. The presence calmed hundreds of parents down as rumors flew all over social media. Some said 10 died but it was a kid with a gun who walked in, waved the gun around the cafeteria and shot and killed only himself.

Four years ago, we had an Amber Alert. The cops surrounded one house and our reporter on the scene told me that they had the suspect surrounded. I reported "appears the Amber Alert is starting to wind down", only on Facebook.

Nope.

Suspect was never there. I was wrong.

The sheriff, police chief and the state director of public safety all called or emailed me with 10 minutes telling me I was wrong and how I could be so irresponsible. We won multiple Emmys for our coverage that day and the whole time I was anchoring, I was worried that I would get fired the next day.

So... no, barely any upside.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

YF1: Don't believe rumors.
    YF2: Rumor is news!

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I can't say this enough: I am so glad I got out of the journalism game before social media became a thing.

Riptide likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Me, too. I sucked at the news-gathering part when I had several hours. Can only imagine how bad I'd be if I had only a few minutes.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

One dead in O-H-I-O.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sadly, it's destroying a lot more than journalism ...

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Social media does have some very good uses though. When you start getting 15 or 20,000 followers and actually engage on posts that aren't just about showing your new shoes or links to your stories, that becomes your calling card to getting people to talk or, even better, send you their video from inside the crime scene.

Far too many reporters who don't have the years or contacts in a certain market can only be loud and constant in their posts.

I don't post as often but I insist that each post has value and moves the situation ahead.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Go for it.

Juries should convict based on eyewitness evidence too, right?

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

No, they should convict based on people who didn't claim to see anything...

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Much of it does suck and shouldn't be defended. But this is a sports journalists board, so there's necessarily a different take on things.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yes, and as recently as yesterday I posted about how I wish he would stop with the Twitter obsession. Next question, fp.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's all part of the stochastic conspiracy. There are YFs on virtually every fucking message board on the internet whose entire schtick essentially is to trash the media nonstop. When all the media becomes unbelievable, there's no way and really no reason to sort out the factually unbelievable shit a nonstop liar like Dumpf pumps out.

Draft saved Draft deleted