1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Updated) Chris Henry dies after fall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Public School, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Hey, I don't want to slam a guy who's just died, but... Marvin Lewis? Henry was a "beacon of hope?" Really? Can't believe he said that during the presser. I get it, though. You liked the kid. He looked like he was starting to "get it" - if you ignore the circumstances of the accident. But "beacon of hope"? Egads.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

One girl, one cup.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In his defense, I'm sure the bookcase has been that way for his last several interviews, none with the gravity of this story. But yeah, it's weird. It's all too cute, including the NFL football sitting just the right way over his left shoulder for the logo to catch the light.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

It's never a good obit when the second paragraph is a quote that disputes your "public persona."

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Forget the blue font, or are we serious here? Since he was on IR, I'm guessing the line will not be impacted.

And it's "affect."

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's not like anyone on his team knew him or would be impacted by his loss in a way that would change the game.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Just awful. RIP.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Not the way I interpreted the question... but whatever. Either way, the question is bullshit.

RIP, Chris Henry. May you now find the peace that sadly eluded you on this plane.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I was stunned when a friend called me this morning with the news of his death. Being a Bengals fan and recalling that he had had troubles with the law before, I really thought that after this much time without incident, he was free and clear and he had turned a positive corner. This is really sad. I agree with Fishhack2009 -- I hope he now has the peace he could not find in this life. RIP.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't know anything about this guy, but Mike Brown looks like an idiot too, talking about how he had turned his life around.

Yeah, if you ignore how he died.

MSNBC just played the 9-1-1 tape from another driver who was watching him trying to break into the cab of the truck.

11. The woman on the 9-11 call when the guy calls in to report him lying in the road sounds like a moron. She keeps urging him to "Go over to the patient," basically saying they can't send anyone until he does. Yeah, I'm sure some random driver would feel perfectly comfortable walking over to a near-dead guy in the road and his hysterical fiancee. The guy made the call. He did his civic duty. Enough with the badgering. If he isn't comfortable inserting himself into that situation, he isn't comfortable.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is awful. It's tragic.

I'm going to have a hard time watching the coverage of this, because I'm worried ESPN is going to make him out to be a saint like they did with Sean Taylor. I know you respect the dead and don't pile on after someone passes unexpectedly and tragically, but don't try to make the guy out to be something he wasn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.