1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated: Help me on my trip to Philly...(page 3)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Oct 6, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've gotten a suggestion to go to the Philadium, apparently a 10-minute walk. Anyone second that?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Philadium sounds like a strip club.

3. imjustagirl

I didn't say it wasn't.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Well then.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.bookbinders.biz/
    Best seafood in the city, on one of the oldest streets in Philly.

http://www.upenn.edu
    Fourth-oldest institution of higher learning in the U.S.

6. imjustagirl

We had a Bookbinder's in Richmond. Looking more for Philly-centric. Also, walkable from the park (or downtown, since I'm now Amtraking it).

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sinatra, JFK and foreign shahs have kicked back at this Bookbinder's.

I don't think you can go wrong with Walnut, Chestnut, Rittenhouse Square, etc.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I am enjoying this so much. I'm just a girl I am going to help you like you have never been helped before.
    LJB, that Bookbinders burned down. They rebuilt another one at the same site.
    1, DO NOT DRIVE TO THE BALL PARK. TAKE SEPTA. It only costs two bucks from 30th street station. You take the Market-Frankford El to City Hall. As you are getting off the train, turn to your left (there's only one way to go) walk down the steps and walk to the platform for the Broad Street Subway Southbound. Get off at Pattison Ave., it's the last stop. Walk or ride the escalator up to the surface and you will see the stadium.
    Enjoy the game.
    If you want a cheese steak, and I don't think you'd fare too well in any of the hoods (Italian, African Amerian, Korean, Asian etc.) I strongly suggest that you go to second and South Street and go to Jim's Steak Shop. You'll have the option of paying cash or plastic but I strongly suggest cash. Get a chessesteak with fried onions, salt, pepper, catsup, a bag of chips and a soda for about $11. (It's a tourist trap but you'll feel safer, I promise).

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Although some folks in Philly have been known to throw cheese at, and then take a whiz on, those poor souls wearing Giants or Cowboys gear.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Philladium is kind of a bar. It's several blocks north. The problem is, the stadiums in Philadelphia are all in a warehousey area that makes for convenient parking and traffic flow, but little ambience. This is changing, not quickly enough.
    There's another place right near the Philladium called Chickie's & Pete's. You could get a cheesesteak there. They also offer a parking shuttle. I've never used it and I don't know what the deal is, as far as parking in their lot, if it's free, etc. But I'd check that out, if I were you.
    Ought to be a fine evening. Citizen's Bank Park is a great place to watch a game. Wave to me across the street at the NovaCare Complex, where I'll be writing Eagles stories.

Wait, just read that you're going by train. Do as Drip advised. If you want to eat at Chickie's & Pete's, get off the stop before Broad and Pattison, which I guess is Broad and Oregon, then walk down (toward the stadium, south) to Packer Ave, and turn right.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

IJAG, I can only assume Drip told you to order a cheesesteak with ketchup because he has some side bet going where he wins if someone does you in while BYH is still alive. If you must have something tomato-based, order it "with sauce".

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great advice that she won't get!
    She's seven minutes from arrival.

I got a cheesesteak at the stadium once and it was quite good.

Draft saved Draft deleted