1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Don't give them any ideas, dammit.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How about "At the point in my career where I have to do TV commercials Rob Lowe."
    Or "Bitched about a newspaper article Rob Lowe"

I really hate that Chevy truck "focus group" ad. Yeah, identical guy the only thing different is a RED truck and a grey sedan. Gee, I'm sure that "one" difference isn't slipping past the audience, like it seemed to slip past the copy writers. Lame.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Cable One ad has the "Common Sense" lady walking into Frankenstein's lab. The monster is "too slow" because he was powered by DSL from the phone company. At the end, Cable One lady is made up like the Bride of Frankenstein, with Ygor in tow. Total Halloween-time cliche-fest. Uh, did they make a Halloween/October ad last summer and just forget to put it out there.

"Oh, shit. Well, it's February. Maybe no one will notice."

I have. It's really odd to put that out right now.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

The ads with Barkley, Sam Jackson and living troll doll Spike Lee are getting annoying. Chuck playing dumb is just as endearing as the dumb guys from the Sonic ads (which is not at all) and Chuck-is-dumb seems to be the entire point of them. I have no idea what they're even selling.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

A better alternative is the old guy hoops players. Much like the ads during the Super Bowl with football fogies.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I do like the one with Christian Laettner resting on his laurels.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That wing place commercial which is running nationally for the NCAA tourney when in pretty sure they aren't national is getting annoying. The old fart from duck dynasty grunting at the cashier who can't understand him unless he grunts despite the fact she responds in articulate English. Please just stop it!

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Chuck, Sam and Spike could probably make a hilarious-as-hell R-rated road buddy movie, but they are, shall we say, "limited" by the constraints of network teevee.

Certainly I could think of many more apt responses from SLJ to Chuck's Underwater Ninja Dolphins idea, mostly in a 'Pulp Fiction' /SOAP mode.

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

ZAXBY'S! I love Zaxby's. Used to go there all the time when I lived in Florida. Evidently, they like to congregate in SEC towns so one practical upshot of Mizzou joining the SEC is a Zaxby's in CoMo, which I've been able to hit a couple of times when I've been covering something there.
    It does fast food chicken far better than Chick-Fil-A does and light years ahead of KFC. I wish they'd go national, but I'm just happy to have one I can hit once in a blue moon.

It'd be a great buddy movie if they ditched no-personality asshole Spike Lee for literally anyone else.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Zaxby's is delicious, mostly because the Zax Sauce is the bomb. I should have stocked up on that stuff before I left Kentucky.

I don't know, I would rather see Chuck, Sam and Spike any day over another one of those stupid fucking Rob Lowe ads. GO AWAY ROB LOWE.

I do, however, like the home improvement guy trying to figure out how to fold a fitted sheet. Dude knows that the struggle is real.

11. spikechiquet

Yeah, the latest Rob Lowe spot is awful (Bad Decision Rob Lowe).
    The "selling" point in the commercial is that you can start your shows over? Whupty Do!

12. spikechiquet

When you have to call yourself attractive, Mindy Kaling, in a Nationwide commercial...oh honey...you are not.

Draft saved Draft deleted