1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Urban Meyer: He gone

So did I (but only in the '19 World Series):

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Or:

[​IMG]

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet he's coaching in the NFL by 2011.

I'm not suggesting he's making this up, but I think he found a graceful way to escape UF. Florida will probably be a four loss team next season, Urban gets to take a year off and let the NFL come to him.

If he never coaches again, I respect the hell out of his decision, but I just don't believe that to be true. Just my opinion.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Health, yeah, that's a good reason. To think he's "quitting on his team" is stupid beyond measure, even if it isn't health. People are allowed to leave jobs. He's giving plenty of notice.

Someone earlier noted something about wanting to see his kids grow up. Nice thought but it is a little late for that. One is 18, one is 16.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As Zags and others will be quick to point out, I'm a Vol fanboi; but even still, I'm quick to take Meyer at his word. To suggest that he's had various sources float stories about several serious health ailments as a smokescreen for why he really quit out of the blue seems, well, frankly stupid.

"My players get speeding tickets and Lane Kiffin's making fun of me, so I'm going to quit days before the bowl game and blame it on brain and heart problems." Yeah, right.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm tired, I want a year off, and my team's reached its peak anyway, so it's all downhill from here.

I'll take the year off, then proclaim that my health is intact, thanks to the rest, then take an NFL job.

Perfectly feasible.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He also has a son around age 11. Buddy Martin book on Meyer does a pretty good job of showing the pressure that Meyer puts on himself. He also discusses the brain cysts and how debilitating they can be when Meyer is under stress. There were games at Utah where he could barely function due to the intense pain of the cysts.

I take him at his word that health is the key reason but I also think that deep down he feels that he just does not have the energy to start a new run with a new cast of players.

Watching him walk off the field after Bama loss I had the sense that I was watching a coach who gave to Florida all that he could give. He has been to the top of the mountain twice in fours years. It had to be all consumming for him.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or Jerheme Urban

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In a macho sport like football, I think that it takes balls for Meyer to admit that he is quitting because the stress is literally killing him.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think that Tebow has profoundly influenced Meyer. Don't think that balls are part of this equation

11. Re: Urban Meyer: He gone

Nothing personal 93, but I hate this argument and always have. There is plenty of stress coaching and playing sports. Plenty. Or in any high-paying, high-stakes profession, from surgery to corporate law to Wall Street to the front office of a professional sports team to the sideline of the Florida Gators. It's not an insult to factory workers, single moms, soldiers or anyone else to admit as much. I hate the class warfare argument that anybody with a good paycheck is on easy street and has no right to quit, complain, etc., etc. They have families, too, and job pressure, along with the impending realization of their own mortality.

I'm happy for Meyer. A lot of coaches talked a big game after Skip Prosser. Here's someone doing something about it.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My only curiosity is why he chose to make the announcement a week before the game. Why couldn't he have waited till the day after the game?

Draft saved Draft deleted