1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Re: Urban Meyer: He gone

Kudos to the people who yesterday pegged Meyer as a disingenuous prick.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Cross off this new lyric

"Urban Meyer's going boys, and he ain't coming back!"

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm not seeing that here?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Much like when someone leaves SJ with great fanfair only to return the next day.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It would be more similar if he started another team somewhere else, ragged on SJ in recruiting and then went back to the original school with a new name.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There were a few people saying he couldn't be trusted. I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt. I should know better than to ever do that re: big-time athletics.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Did he extort a raise? Did he leave for another team?

I don't see your issue?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Between Meyer, Foley and Donovan, Florida's got more drama queens within its athletic department than an afternoon's worth of soap operas.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Perhaps disingenuous was the wrong word. My issue is that I would have respected the hell out of the guy had he done what he originally said and walked away based on having his priorities in order. That his epiphany about the importance of health and family lasted less than a day makes me lose the respect he would have earned from where I'm sitting. Disappointed is more like it.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Somebody texted me yesterday that Irving Meyer was stepping down.
    I guess not.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ray Meyer is stepping down and his son Joey is taking over.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He's a major college football coach. He doesn't brush his teeth in the morning without considering how it affects what people think about him.

Why did he do this? Who knows. I think it's entirely possible that he wanted an LOA and got turned down, then threatened to quit and got UF to change its mind. I also think it's possible that he'll get some kind of sweetened deal out of this.

I see something like this and assume an ulterior motive. Guess you're still in that category that wants to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I hate that being cynical typically results in my being right about things, by the way. But if you expect the worst, then any surprise is a pleasant one.

Draft saved Draft deleted