1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

fixed

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Bull! Then tell me how important that Ole Miss-Florida game was last season?

[/zagoshe]

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It seems like non of these high profile coaching departures ever end up like they started out.

Another shoe always drops.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

You have been on my johnson since since your fourth post. Grow up. Send crap like that as a PM. You know that it doesn't do anything but incite people to post equally stupid stuff. This is a good thread.
    Damn, TxScribe, if that is really what you are, enough is enough.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just wonder what is really going on when he says he's been thinking about this for awhile, makes his decision and then changes his mind the next day.

That's what so stupid about this. Wait until the bowl game is over, take a couple weeks off and then make a decision when you're not completely drained and prone to make a stupid decision.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Can't take a week off after the bowl game Mizzou. Peak recruiting time. They made a good-bad decision. If i'm a kid sitting in my living room with a recruiter from UF, I want to know who will be there coaching the team when I'm a sophomore or junior. Will Urban suddenly come back and screw me around because I wasn't one of his recruits?

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Dare I suggest that Urban might not be the best right now? Saban will have two titles, at different schools, if Bama can beat Texas. He revitalized LSU and won a title against Big-game Bob. He revitalized Bama and I think if he stays at Bama he wins more than he loses against Urban.

I know Saban is loathed here and makes life miserable for local scribes but that guy is a hell of a college football coach.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Urban, Saban, Stoops, Carroll - it's all subjective. You're talking about the best in the business that is college football coaching.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd take Saban over Meyer. What Saban has done at Alabama is more impressive than what Meyer has done at UF. I know he hasn't won his second title yet, but winning a title at two different schools I don't think has ever been done before, or if it has, not in the last 50 years.

Make no mistake, Meyer is still a hell of a coach. But, if he's going to recover from this, he has to leave UF. This will be used against him in recruiting so much it's not even funny.

I think it's funny that Florida has two big name coaches who have won two titles and both tried to leave and for whatever reason, couldn't. If they were that happy there, they wouldn't try to leave.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Coaching at UF can be demanding, maybe too demanding. Even when you win, someone is pointing a finger. That being said, the gigs pay well and if you're shrewd enough, a short stint there with all the bullshit can set you up for life.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Interesting commentary by Shanoff, flexing his MBA muscles to look at Meyer as a case study in CEO management problems: http://www.danshanoff.com/2009/12/monday-morning-meyer-deeper-analysis.html

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I looked it up. I was semi-correct. You aren't even in the building:<blockquote><b><u>Recruiting Definitions</u></b>

<b>Contact</b>
    A contact occurs any time a coach has any face-to-face contact with you or your parents off the college's campus and says more than hello. A contact also occurs if a coach has any contact with you or your parents at your high school or any location where you are competing or practicing.

<b>Contact Period</b>
    During this time, a college coach may have in-person contact with you and/or your parents on or off the college's campus. The coach may also watch you play or visit your high school. You and your parents may visit a college campus and the coach may write and telephone you during this period.

<b>Dead Period</b>
    The college coach may not have any in-person contact with you or your parents at any time in the dead period. The coach may write and telephone you or your parents during this time.</blockquote>

Draft saved Draft deleted