1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Pitino

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You know I thought Tebow had a lock on playing the martyr. Not anymore. Meyer's got him beat.

3. mb

mb Active Member

Was a play off "heal" and the St. Tebow stuff and all.

/yeah, bit of a stretch

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

St. Timothy of Gainesville hath healeth thine coach! 'Tis a bowl season miracle!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Meyer has always been a douche, but he had about 24 hours when everyone felt sorry for him and he seemed human. Now he looks like a huge asshole who doesn't give a fuck about his family.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why the compliance guy I talked to is at a school that never wins.

In the meantime, this is the best thing I've seen written on the whole situation ...

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2009/12/28/meyer-can-change-mind-but-he-cant-undo-damage-at-florida/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

LOL.

8. Mizzougrad96

That's a good read in the AJC. One of the Yahoo guys had an amazing column on the topic a day or two ago.

Long story short, Florida's days as the nation's elite program are done. That's not to say the Gators won't still be good and it may take a year or two for them to really feel the impact of Meyer's fuck-up, but they won't recover from this one anytime soon.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There are some who never fail to demonstrate how they clearly have it all figured out -- by all, I mean life -- and everyone else is fair game to be ridiculed as some jerk who can't cut it, has an agenda, is a prick, is the biggest whatever or the worst you-name-it because they might have a different makeup, a different set of obstacles and a different path in life.

The economy of empathy is also in bad shape, apparently. I hope those who are most often that critical don't ever have a real crisis themselves, because I'm guessing they'd be so hard on themselves they'd never give themselves a break. Call me naive, but I think a lot of people are being self-righteous, judgmental pricks about this, especially on the basis of limited information.

(And no, I'm not talking about the column or blog post referenced just above my post.)

10. Mizzougrad96

Well, based on the information we have, we had an unlikable douche who was one of the best football coaches in the game at one of the best programs.

For 24 hours almost everybody respected his decision and was impressed with the maturity that it took to choose health and family over his job. I must admit some of the stories about his daughter "getting her father back" were pretty damn touching.

Then he changes his mind. Fuck you family. Fuck you health. That's not to say he's the first coach to do that, but he might be one of the first to basically do that in a press conference less than a day after declaring what was most important to him.

I'm not trying to imply that any of these decisions were made easily, but his flip-flop just ruined the nation's top football program. Make a decision and stick to it.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF Mizzou? Didn't you know the South shall rise again?
    But seriously, Florida will be fine. Too many athletes in a hot bed of talent to pick from. I wouldn't call this a fuck up though. Health is more important than any football game.

12. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

What the hell are you talking about?

Will they be barred from recruiting in the state of Florida after 2010? Will they fail to attract a big-time head coach when/if Meyer leaves?

This is an embarassing and just plain weird situation, but I don't see why Florida won't be part of the usual group of 8-10 schools every year that will be in the national title picture.

Draft saved Draft deleted