1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

And it's this kind of instance that honestly makes me wonder why so many people care about stuff like this to the extent that they do.

I know I've never lived in the states and I didn't go to a big U.S. college and I wasn't encouraged from birth by my parents to cheer for any of the teams that you all follow. I guess I'll just never understand.

Please note, I'm not trying to be critical. I just don't get it.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

FSU has recruited the state of Florida and for the past 8-9 years has been very pedestrian.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Give Jimbo and his new hires a year or two.

4. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

So has Florida Atlantic and FIU. What's your point?

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Because there isn't any such group of 8-10 schools. Nebraska was in that group in the 90s and isn't now. LSU was in it just a few years ago and wasn't this season. Notre Dame has left that group. There is always a group, but it changes as programs change. Where is Florida State now? Was Alabama in the national title picture just a few years ago? I'd say the Tide are in it now. Personally, I think Tebow's departure is at least as important, but Florida may have departed that group for the time being. As far as recruiting in the state of Florida, there's been a coaching change at FSU, and the Miami staff is working hard to right that ship. The pickings will not be as easy, though the Gators still dominate the state in terms of interest.

6. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

That was my point. Could there be a dropoff in recruiting and, consequently, success if Meyer leaves? Sure. But to say the program is "ruined" is the kind of silly overreaction I expect from afternoon sports talk radio.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Nice confession.

8. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Ruined would be silly, yes. Even more silly than claiming the Gators are part of a group of 8 to 10 who are always in the national championship picture. Even pre-Spurrier, the Gators drew the most interest in the state because it is the flagship university and has 50K students. That only translates to recruiting potential. A wishy-washy coaching situation hinders that.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

"Will they be barred from recruiting in the state of Florida after 2010?"

I thought you were implying that UF won't drop off the ledge because they can recruit in Florida. FSU was just an example of how it is still possible to become mediocre while recruiting fertile grounds. FSU has proven over the past few years that an organization with too many people with the title of HC doesn't work.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you were a coach recruiting against Florida the last couple years what would have said to kids?

Uh, they're so good, you'll get to start here sooner.

Uh, Tebow can't play there forever.

Uh, Meyer is bound to go to the NFL eventually.

Now, it's open game on UF. Obviously, the program isn't ruined, but their stay at the top of the game is, at least as long as Meyer is still there. Players don't want to go there and play for the OC, they want to play for Meyer, or whatever big-name coach they bring in to replace him. Anyone who think this won't hurt Florida is being foolish.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mizzou, I think you're foolish. I think many kids in Florida grow up wanting to play at UF. They don't want to freeze their ass off in Missouri or Iowa any place else. They want to play football in a warm climate near home.
    As a program UF will take a hit, but they were going to take a hit anyway with graduation and what have you. The Gators' program will survive. Remember, it's just the circle of life in the SEC.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mizzou is right. Florida will no longer point at a recruit and land him after this. Urban and Saban could have battled for the next decade, and now Alabama is by far the school you want to play for if you live in the south.

I also think Miami will push ahead of Florida in the next year or two.

I think it will be very entertaing to watch recruiting in Florida. Maybe the State of Miami will rise again?

Draft saved Draft deleted