1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Are you sure? Is the Undertaker's jaw gonna fall off next?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I hope that doesn't happen to me!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't post pictures on message boards, YGBFKM, can you help me BUT I DO OTHER THINGS REAL GOOD!!!!

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Florida is the flagship university in the state, there's no arguing that. But until Meyer got there, Florida was pretty regularly beaten out for recruits by Miami and Florida State. Will that happen again? We'll see, but it's going to be a lot more competitive now than it would have been if Meyer doesn't retire/unretire/take a leave etc...

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Rivals Rankings

2003: UF #2 UM #5 FSU #21

2004: UF# 7 UM #4 FSU #7

The two years prior to Meyer becoming UF's head coach indicate the Gators were on equal footing.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Meyer won his first title with mostly Zook's players. So UF was recruiting just fine before he came along.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Old Ball Coach is the one that brought Florida to life. Zook was able to keep the pipeline of players coming in, he just had no idea what to do with them.

Prior to Spurrier, the Gators had never won a Sugar or Orange Bowl.

Zook was recruiting on Spurrier's draft.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

They were beaten for a few reasons. I'll just go back 30 years for you. Charley Pell had them ranked but the program was rocked by scandal and then probation.
    Galen Hall coached the team from the middle of 1984 until 1989, and matched the 9–1–1 record in 1984 with another 9–1–1 season in 1985. The 1985 Gators posted the best record in the SEC, but were ineligible for the conference title because of the NCAA probation imposed in 1984. Hall had his own NCAA infractions scandal involving paying his assistant coaches from his own pocket and allegedly paying the child support-related legal expenses of one of his players.
    interim head coach Gary Darnell finished the 1989 season.That aided the recruiting efforts of FSU and UM.
    It took some time and a few coaching changes, before Spurrier turned things around. The Gators are the winningest Division I-A program since 1990

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The 911 call from the Meyer home on Dec. 6....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4782723

Nice work by ESPN to get this.

10. mb

mb Active Member

I'm shocked.
    SHOCKED, I say.

::)

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Prior to Spurrier, the best line ever written about the Florida football program was by Dan Jenkins: "Florida has the arrogance of Alabama and the tradition of Vanderbilt."

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This woman has a future doing play-by-play for the Atlanta Braves.

WTF is up with her? Nice emotion. Do the Meyer's share Michael Jackson's pharmacist? Seriously, sound concerned.

Draft saved Draft deleted