1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

You mean he wasn't already?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would send them each a portable defibulator with a note that they might be needing for their coach.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've never met Meyer (FUCK YOU FUDGIE!) but from what I've heard it would be close between him and Nick the prick.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My neighbor is a local high school coach who has sent some pretty big time kids off to college. He told me the lower kids and role players could give a shit about the head coach. Most could not even tell you the head guys name. Who they do know is their recruiter. Below the coordinators, all the other coaches are there for is to recruit.

He said most big time programs have three guys who actually coach. The other guys are just recruiters with titles.

The blue chips kids, though, like Harvin and Demps and Teblow know the head coach very well rom Day 1. Those are the kids Florida will probably lose.

My neighbor compared it to a high school football coach knowing every kid on the freshman team. They know the real players, but could really give a shit about the ones who will, at best, play special teams when they are seniors.

He showed me an example of a player following a recruiter with the Mike Groh/Virginia/Oscar Smith QB/Alabama example.

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2009/04/quarterback_phillip_sims_commi.html

5. Mizzougrad96

Don't kid yourself, the kids care about the head coach.

I doubt Bowden was making too many home visits the last few years so having a coach who can do that will help FSU.

Let's not forget, Ron Zook actually recruited better at Florida than Spurrier did. The problem was Spurrier could make up for a lack of players with coaching. Zook could not. Meyer could do both.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The skill kids also care about the system

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

From what I gathered, the ones who will win the games for you do care. There are about 20-25 on the roster.

Do you reall think Meyer made a home visit to every kid on the Florida roster during the recruiting process? He may have shaken their hand when they visited, but there are recruits and then there are the blue chips.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The big recruit who flipped to FSU just flipped back to UF and will enroll early on Monday. He said Meyer will be at UF forever. The Gators easily have the top ranked class. Either Meyer is a lying sack of shit or he won't be taken any leave.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Meyer will back away in the offseason but ready to coach in the fall.
    It's been established that this is not that big of a deal anymore.
    Meyer's still the coach at Florida.
    End of story for me.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He's already a lying sack of shit because he said he was resigning, and apparently he's not. He also lied to his family, which is a much deeper problem than lying to the media or fans.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Liar, liar, liar ...
    Can't we ever just "change our minds" or reconsider?
    These guys are under a lot of pressure.

12. Mizzougrad96

The damage has already been done. I can understand coaches taking another job and reconsidering, like what Mason did, Harrick did, Donovan did etc...

Meyer, who apparently is on the recruiting trail right now, looks like a colossal douche.

Draft saved Draft deleted