1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes. In these robust economic times, rare is it that someone in this business has to worry about making the rent. Sheesh. You really sound out of touch.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Imagine if Jack, Janet and Chrissy had had to worry about paying the rent once in a while. "Tonight, on a very special 'Three's Company'......"

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Gives new meaning to the show's theme.

Down at our rendezvous, three's company too... :)

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Stress isn't not being able to pay tomorrow's rent.

Stress is knowing exactly how long you can not pay the rent without getting evicted because you've come close before, and knowing you are going to have trouble coming up with it before that date.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I like how everyone can sit here and easily judge Meyer, especially when it comes to him and his family.

Likewise, trying to diminish what stress is, is also bullshit. There must be a total lack of oxygen on the high horse some of you are on, trying to say that heading a multi-million dollar entity like UF Football wouldn't be stressful. With the amount of revenue generated by football there, especially as it relates to the health of other athletic programs, you guys are all full of shit if you think it can't be qualified as stressful. Not just Meyer's family, but hundreds of families are dependent on the money his program generates.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Obviously the job is stressful. Florida is one of just a handful of jobs in the country where a 8-4 season gets you canned.

Meyer putting his family first, was awesome. It didn't last 24 hours. That's pathetic.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Right. And Florida won its first 12 games, beat rivals Georgia, Tennessee and Florida State, went 13-1, won a major bowl and everyone, from Foley and Meyer to the waterboys, walked around like they were going to a funeral every Saturday. What you do is tell the fans and boosters that they could be in Vanderbilt's position -- or Florida, pre-Spurrier, and shut the fuck about about "only" beating Tennessee by 10 and "only" going 13-1. They should get the message. If they don't, maybe he can go back to Utah.

8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The guy's still taking a leave of absence, he just hasn't begun the full thing yet. They've had to replace four coaches in the last two weeks - I would think most can can understand why he needs to be involved with that. He's called kids on the phone but not flown to see them, and he's not allowed in his office. Maybe not as extreme a break as it sounded like originally, but not business as usual. After signing day is when he apparently will step away completely for some time.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I stand by what I said.
    And I don't feel out of touch.
    You, BYH, and many others here on SJ and in the media, just like to pick people apart who are public figures.
    Face it, it's something you enjoy ... analyzing every move of the likes of Urban Meyer or Wade Phillips or Barack Obama.
    You feel "licensed" to do this, yet when you get face-to-face with these people you cozy up and don't offer up your true feelings.
    Pay your rent, or make arrangements to get it paid by next go-round. Most landlords will work with you if you have a good track record.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't rent and my house payments are on time. And how do you know how anyone questions Urban Meyer?

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No dishonor in picking apart frauds who make a fortune coaching a game at publicly sustained institutions, and who clutch their hearts and yell Angina when sailing starts to get a little rough.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most coaches care more about their jobs than they do about their health and their families. But most coaches don't hold a press conference saying they're going to quit their multi-million-dollar jobs to focus on their health and their family only to change their mind 24 hours later.

Draft saved Draft deleted